Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where did the contents of the folder go?

Posted by gmom74 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 9:49

There is a folder in My Documents where I had placed a number of different things to save. I pulled it up yesterday to read an article I'd saved and found it's gone. I hovered the pointer over it and it tells me it is empty. I did a search for several things that were in it and found nothing. What could have happened to the contents of the folder? It's maddening.
Thank you for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where did the contents of the folder go?

Sometimes when I save things, I move a little too fast and end up saving to another folder without realizing it. Can you confirm that the things you are looking for were there in the first place? Folders don"t mysteriously empty themselves. I suggest you do a search on your hard drive with a keyword from the title to see if it might be elsewhere on the drive.

o

Thank you, Kudzu. I had done a search and could find nothing. However, I checked my external drive and ,thankfully, had backed the folder up. Maybe the way I used to back up that folder caused it to empty. But I don't remember how I did it-
Just goes to show that back up is important.

o

Great...but still a mystery. However, if you backed up manually, you could have done cut and paste, rather than copy and paste. Done that myself, too!

o

I experienced a LOT of that when I first got the new computer and W7. Know that I am in minority here, but after much discussion with tech, he rebuilt the new machine, and haven't had any trouble since. Where those folder contents went are and always will be a mystery, and I did google, and found W7 has a propensity for that, losing folders. Still don't know why.

o

I still have XP- usually I use copy and paste but perhaps I just dragged the contents over to the Seagate. That maybe would have emptied the folder. When I use copy I have to be careful to hit 'copy' and not 'cut'. I've made that mistake before, too.

o

shaddy-
I can understand lost folders sometimes, but the issue of a folder being emptied and still there is somewhat more perplexing.

o

kudzu, if you ever come up with an answer for that issue, please post it here, I am still hoping to find the contents, floating out there in cyberspace somewhere. To know you did something, to know you put the folder in a specific place, and to come back even a few hours later, and the folder is completely empty, blew my mind, more than once.

o

shaddy-
I think you have mystical computer powers that are far in advance of most of us!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here