Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watching our security system from another location

Posted by ilmbg (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 8:14

I am the person who reviews our security system when there is an incident at our condominium complex.
It sometimes takes hours of viewing playback to find what I am looking for (theft, vandalism, drug deals).
I need to be able to view the system from my home at times. If I am out of town I must be able to do the same. We use Hikvision. They do not know how to configure the system so I can do this. Nor does Time Warner, who is our server.
How do I go about setting this up?
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watching our security system from another location

Maybe reading the FAQ would help? Sounds odd that the provider of the system can't or won't help you...surely they've encountered a request like this before. I looked at the FAQ and was not impressed..poor use of English in several places. Foreign company? Not sure about this, but thinking at some point you may need a static IP from Time Warner...hope I'm wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hikvision FAQ

o
RE: Watching our security system from another location

I'd be curious, where is the recorder located ? How do you view it now ?

Normally a recorder would be on site, network connected to a router. You would have some PC software on your computer from the Hikvision for viewing it.

You could connect to its router from home or anywhere in the world if the router is set to port forward as a webserver the recorder with the Hikvision viewing program.

You need to set up the Router to allow remote access and allow the recorder as a www web server. So where is the router that this recorder is plugged into ? That's probably all you need to configure. Assuming you have the viewing software.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here