SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20095016

recommendation for blu-ray dvd for old tv

User
11 years ago

Hi Kids and Good Mornng.

I have researched on Crutchfield and Amazon and CNET.

They are offering ones for HDMI, 1080p, 3D, Netflix etc. The prices are reasonable at $139.00 but the television is 13 years old and I wonder if compatible.

Is there one for a cable tv that plays DVDs and is a Blu-Ray and will transfer someday to a flat screen? My neighbor had one that worked and died.

Thanks.

Comments (35)

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

If your TV doesn't have HDMI or component (that's red, blue, green) connectors, you might have a tough time connecting a BluRay player. An older TV isn't going to be able to take full advantage of BluRay anyway.

You might look for an cheap DVD player or a used one.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The reason my neighbor is buying a Blu Ray is to get ready for the new technology. She wants to buy once.

Looking for old DVD players that are of good quality or even finding used ones is a tougher task.

Are you saying the new techonology won't work on an old tv screen at all? That is the problem I'm trying to solve.

I know there are many, many people, who don't have flat screen yet and are in this predicament and think it is a worthy question to pose.

• Related Discussions

DVD Blu-Ray Plyr with wi-fi connected to old tv. I learned here.

Q

Comments (2)
    Ellie, Go for you. I took the liberty of tagging the other threads here for you. Now members will have a single portal to all four of your same topic threads, and you will only have to keep one alive if need be. One thread is historically the best way to go. First thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/comphelp/msg0705045516743.html?35 Second thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/comphelp/msg0713354729000.html?4 Third thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/comphelp/msg070451503251.html?7 DA
    ...See More

Would like your opinions about Blu-Ray DVD Players

Q

Comments (10)
    I am sorry i seem to have been a bit misinformed i was surer i was right ,but the older 1.0,and 1.1 should still play futur discs it will just lack the full use of special features,i just read this article on cnet. (The easiest way to avoid all these headaches is to buy a Profile 2.0 player, which is currently the most future-proof option there is. In particular, we recommend the PS3--not only is it the best Blu-ray player according to our reviews, but it also has traditionally been updated with new features before other Blu-ray players. Additionally, because the PS3 has such a fast processor inside, we've found that special features just work better, with faster load times and smoother playback. If you're the kind of person that never fiddles with special features and you've found a great deal on a Profile 1.1 player, there's no reason not to buy it as long as you know what you're giving up. Profile 1.1 players should have no problems playing back future Blu-ray movies, you're just won't be able to get additional content online. Profile 1.0 players are increasingly rare these days, so unless you find a fantastic deal, you can probably find a Profile 1.1 player for a similar price.) for some morer info check out cnet for yourself ,again sorry for the bad info,will not happen again!
    ...See More

Adding a blu-ray component player; howzitwork?

Q

Comments (3)
    Adding a Blu-ray player to your system will significantly improve both the video and the audio provided you have newer components that will support the player outputs. The real key is having components that accept HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface), and of course having a Television panel that supports 1080P. Two HDMI cables one from player to receiver, another from receiver to TV...that's it...the single cable link handles HD video and surround sound! If you at least have a receiver that supports HDMI there is a good chance it will upconvert to component video (G,B,R jacks) which is accepted by most HD TVs. The superior PCM sound stream used by Blu-ray discs (and SACD audio) is not outputted on optical or digital coax for proprietary reasons (ie easy to record). Some Blu-ray players will output 5 or 7 individual channels + a sub on RCA plugs...again to a receiver that has individual discreet inputs. The real solution is to go HDMI all the way to a 1080p TV...then you will be a happy camper and realize the advancements Blu-ray has to offer....if not stick with your current DVD surround setup. Best player by the way is still a Sony Playstation 3...hard to beat for the price even if your not a gamer....the thing handles Blu-ray Movies, SACD discs, and lets you browse the net if you have a wireless network to interface it to...amazing HD graphics on the games too!
    ...See More

player for UK Blu-Ray and DVD

Q

Comments (0)
    Would like to view UK/Region 2 DVDs. Amazon in the US had 3rd-party modified BR players that are multi-region (extra regions not needed for me), or I could order a regular BR player from Amazon.co.uk. Not sure which is more cost effective or problem-free. Either would be connected via HDMI to a plasma TV.
    ...See More
  • grandms
    11 years ago

A general answer to your question is, "NO", the newer technology just will not work on an old TV because it does not have the updated connectors, etc. One item has to be compatible with another for either to work satisfactorily.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I' m sorry to hear that but thank you for your information grandms. Looks like people who have older televisions cannot watch DVDs.

• grandms
    11 years ago

I think you can probably use an older model DVD player, but not Blue Ray. I may be mistaken, but take a look at the connectors on a cheaper DVD player and compare them to those on the back of your TV. You might be able to find one that will work. You will not have high definition, but you can still play DVDs.

• grandms
    11 years ago

I have a Sony DVD player that is about three or four years old. It does have the RCA (red, white, yellow) connectors which the older TVs all have. This will not give you high definition, but you can still watch DVDs. You cannot watch high definition without a high definition TV. Blue Ray is a type of high definition DVD.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey grandms, that's ok, my neighbor just wants the new technology ready for her when she buys a flat screen. She realizes there is no way to get the newest on an old tv. She's very smart but doesn't have the energy to find the answers at 86 and bed ridden. I feel her pain as I can't keep up either but will try for another.

That will be helpful. Her tv is 13 years old.It has red, white yellow connectors. So, since I am the responsible one for her I just want it to work. God love her she deserves better than me but me is who she wants and I want to do the right thing. I just wish I had a brand. I will pay anything for her to have happy days till the end.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

It has red, white yellow connectors.

That is what called composite video (not to be confused with component). They yellow connector carries the video signal, the red and white are for audio.

Doing a bit more looking I found two Sony models that I think should work. BDP-S390 ($120) and BDP-S185 ($90). Both appear to have a composite video connector.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Went to send this and wasn't signed in. Carp..

Thanks for this. I have gone thru the specs on BDPS 185 and it requires compatible HDTV and HDMI cable and LPCM capable receiver.

While I am not a techie or a user I know she has cable television as we all had to make the change and she does not have a landline which was mentioned - maybe for options that she would never use.

She has a

1. Sony Trinitron color TV KV 27V66 that is 12 years old. It has the red, white and green connectors
    2. a comcast cable box
    3. and an old Phillips DVD player #727. That worked all this time until the tray got stuck closed. I broke it trying to open it up over a 4 day period. By that time I didn't care if it never worked again the **** thing was going to open and a letter opener killed as I new it would.

Sorry to put so much info in. I wonder if I can find the same DVD player that was bought in 1994. Is there a manual for old product compatability?

I have plenty of friends who haven't used up their perfectly good television. I have been like that and when I do buy feel the technology it has improved and less expensive or the reviews are solit. I wait in line outside for no big box store circus. I even do that with Turbo TAX. Just hate to be stuck as the quality control person for future consumers.

The other DVD you mentioned BDPS 390 player has no display screen and one must use television. Gotta be a confident pro for that one.

Your research has been in invaluable to me, Mike. Hope others pitch in.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did find the player on ebay and Amazon used.. Lots of reviews on it that were good at the time and some horrible ones reminiscent of reviews here of Philips products. and it doesn't fit the requirements of being useable with the new techonology. Just want one that plays DVDs and has a good rep.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

I have gone thru the specs on BDPS 185 and it requires compatible HDTV and HDMI cable and LPCM capable receiver.

I believe you are mistaken. The link below takes you to the manual. Look at page 9 "Connecting the Player". It shows a composite connection to a standard definition (SD) TV.

Here is a link that might be useful: BDP-S185 Owners Manual

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Heck, mike, I don't want to win this. I want to buy it and pray that it works.

However, I found this page and it clearly sez it but then when you go in the the Owners Manual I can't find it.

Several companies state the exact same thing on that page. These sites are a mess of misinformation.

I will call them idiots and buy it if you think it is a good bet.

What is the deal with ethernet? She has a router across the room a useless wifi for this and cable television.
    Will we be ok? Will this transfer to a Flat Screen?

I need ya. Hang in a little longer, Mike. Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: BDP-S185 Owners Manual

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

If the owners manual says it will work, I'd go with that. Buy it at a store where they have one on display. If there is a yellow connector on the back, Sony didn't add it for decoration. ;-) And make sure the store has a liberal return policy, just in case.

If your friend wants to use any of the advanced features of the unit, she'll need a broadband Internet connection. The unit does NOT have built in WiFi. She'll need a actual cable or an adapter. She will initially and periodically after that connect to the Internet to do software update for the unit itself.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Let's see, she has broadband internet connection and she has all the cable channels through Comcast. So, she would not need an adapter of any sort. Just plug in to the 3 connectors and go. Right.

"She will initially and periodically after that connect to the Internet to do software update for the unit itself."

I saw that and ask you if that is standard maintenance these days and I assume there are pretty good instructions?

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike, are you still there?

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

To play BluRay discs or DVD's, then she would just need to plug in the three cables and go.

As for connecting the unit to the Internet, she would need an Ethernet cable to connect the unit to her router. If she's not planning on using the online features, then the cable could be something that's just pulled out of the closet and run across the floor while it's being used.

If she has WiFi, it might be better to just buy the next player up the scale that has built-in WiFi rather than dealing with an adapter.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, then she wouldn't need to periodically connect to the Internet nor would she need to update anything on the computer? Just plug in and go and when she gets a flat screen she will do the same. Or I will. Right?. That's it..? Do flat screens use those colored connectors too?

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sleep well dear Mike. When you wake up you can answer my question.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

When she gets around to buying a flat screen TV, she'll switch the three connectors for a single HDMI cable that will handle the digital video signal and audio. Pop in a Blu-Ray disc and she'll go "wow!"

Nothing to update on the computer. As I said, the player itself will need occasional updates.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

" She will initially and periodically after that connect to the Internet to do software update for the unit itself."

The above is true is still a true statement from a few entries ago on here.

So these are software updates and how are they done?

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also remember that she is now buying a DVD player with with wifi.

This is exhausting.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

These Blu Ray players are much like a computer and just like Windows needs updates, the players need updates too. The unit, once connected to the Internet should take care of the process on it's own. You'll probably get a message asking if you want a to do the update and a message saying the update is in progress, don't power down. Understand that unlike Windows, this isn't something that happens all the time.

BTW, the new "Internet enabled" televisions do the same thing.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We have done it. (I couldn't take much more) but I do see the light. You sure know how to either teach to the lowest common denominator or string a newbie along. Thanks..

If you are asked again you can just repeat the last message and add a wifi and connector sentence and it will be over.

A final understanding starting with buy a cheap or used one to a player with the best reviews and has wifi and the rca connectors.

Do I dare ask for opinions from the readers of which one to get? There are no high rated tronics stores in VA.
    Box stores stink and a store called Micro Center that had well spoken, smart sales people and lots of stuff. Now the reviews are awful for the staff.
    If you have stores you like tell me. I don't know where you live.

• grandms
    11 years ago

I do lots of buying online. Once you've decided the make and model you want, do a Google search for merchants and prices. I have been happy with New Egg and also with Amazon as well as a few others. I seldom fool with local stores; at my age, it's just too much of a hassle. You might also check out Wal-Mart. You can order online and avoid shipping charges by having it delivered to your local store.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You and I think alike grandms. I am sad that I can't walk into a reliable, honest store to get electronics. Thank heaven we got rid of best buy in the neighborhood. Snarky store manager etc. and the sales people don't know tronics. Unfortunately, I am installing something for my friend on Friday and I worked on learning here from nice guy mike kaiser and am grateful but that took a bunch of days and I don' t have one DVD pinned down. So am going to the stupid box stores with my smartphone in hand and check the reviews as I go. Price is not an issue when you have a friend who is sick.

Otherwise I would be online at your favorite sites like new egg, crutchfield and Walmart . Thanks

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

There are two issues you need to consider: (1) connecting to the television and (2) connecting the unit to the Internet.

(1) To connect the player to the TV, you need a composite connection - the yellow RCA jack (video) plus red and white for audio. Down the road, when she gets a new TV, you'll disconnect the three wires (yellow, red, white) and replace it with a single HDMI cable which will handle digital video and audio. At that point she'll go "wow" and probably wonder why she waited so long to get a new TV. ;-)

There's two reasons to connect to the Internet. The first is that the player needs periodic updates. The second is to use the advanced features of the player for things like streaming video.

(2) To connect to the Internet the player is going to use either a wired connection (via an Ethernet cable) from the player to the router or wirelessly via WiFi. Frankly, if you want to go the wireless route, investing in a player with built in WiFi is going to eliminate a layer of technology and agnst.

How she wants to use the player is going to effect how you connect to the Internet and the cost of the player. If she does not plan on using the advanced features, then a cheaper player, without built-in WiFi, and a length of Ethernet cable will be the cheapest solution. At update time, connect the player to the router via the Ethernet cable, allow the unit to update, and put the cable back in the closet. If she want to use the advanced features (and there is lots of good, free stuff out there) then WiFi is the way to go. Setting up WiFi is much like any other wireless device, you'll select the name of the network from a list and enter the password. Remember that password is not the same as PASSWORD.

I hope this clarifies everything for you.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike, I appreciate your write up so much. You have given me dignity and spent so much time with me. I can't tell you how grateful I am for hanging in with me.

I chose to get the Sony you recommended but one up (Sony BDPS 590) because the user reviews are better. I called Best Buy who has it BUT they say I need an HDMI cable for a television that is not a flat screen. Can you see if that is correct by going on line to Best Buy? It is Sony BDPS590 The SKU # is 4790311.

The back of the player for this model and the 390 are the same I believe.

I will wait for an answer. Thanks again.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike, I wanted to correct something. My television has yellow, red and white connectors or a composite connection as you detailed above.

I continue to read over your notes. There is so much info.

On the Best Buy Technical specs for the 390 and the 590 the say it is not wifi ready but has wifi built in.

Also composite Video inputs: Outputs 0/0.

Any comments?

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

So you've decided on the BDP-S590. Frankly, the folks at Best Buy haven't the vaguest idea what they're talking about. An HDMI cable would do you no good because the TV in question because it does not have an HDMI input.

If you go to Sony's web site and look at the specifications for the BDP-S590 (scroll down to the section labeled "Inputs and Outputs") you'll see it has: Composite Video Output - 1 (rear) and Analog Audio 2ch Output(s) - 1 (Rear). That's what you need and it also corresponds to the attached picture from Best Buy's web site.

The BDP-S590 has built-in WiFi, so all you'll need to do is follow the onscreen instructions and connect to your network.

As for cables themselves, buy the cheapest ones you can find. Best Buy is NOT the place for that. Fortunately, Sony is going to include them in the box, so you'll be good to go!

I hope this helps!

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

I just realized I made a mistake with that picture. It should say "yellow, red, and white connectors..."

See where it says "line out" below the red and white connectors? That means those are outputs.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You taught me well. I KNEW they were wrong. Yes, THEY. I called back and asked another person who said NO, I could not use it. The first one said I needed the HDMI cable. If I worked at Best Buy, I would be the senior technician the first day.

I asked them to click on the illustration so they could see the 3 connectors.

And yet I couldn't do it without you, Grassopper.

Yes, we are pretty much back where we started. You recommended this series how long ago?

I will let you know how I make out.

Flowers are on the way

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

I haven't bought a single thing from Best Buy since the screwed me out of a rebate over a well over a decade ago, so I'm not defending them but this is one of the by-products of a race to the bottom with prices. Hiring good employees and, more importantly, training them costs money, lots of money; especially with ever changing technology products. Once and a while you'll get someone who has been around for a while or is just an enthusiast, but those kind of folks tend to be pretty rare. These kids are getting paid minimum wage and don't have a lot of incentive to do more than the minimum required.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I agree with you completely. I may regret my purchase but I was in a hurry

The very young ladies who answered the phone I believe are doing that for the geek squad.

They should have told me they will find someone to answer the question but they didn't.

Best Buy has changed its policy on returns and you now have 30 days and there are other changes for the customer however they are closing stores and I read some of the financials on them and they are on their way to dissolving the brand I believe .
    Since the investors have made their money upfront they don't care. They can retire after this limited run. I'm sorry that so many of these stores have that attitude.

Garden web could have membership fees. Just think what you could charge me for the days of work with me. I'm excited to get this player and install it for her and see it work I really want to do it tomorrow rather than on Friday when we are supposed to meet. I'll give you a shout out and let you know how I do. If the television doesn't fall on me I think it will be a piece of cake. Otherwise there will be little children running around yelling dingdong the witch is dead.
    Oh dear I just made myself feel bad.. Sigh

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

Best Buy is in a lot of trouble so are plenty of other retailers. If I can order from Amazon cheaper, have it shipped to my door, and save sales tax why would I go to Best Buy?

Just let me know if you need any more help before I write up the final bill. ;-)

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Note: July 28, 2012. As the OP this post started on July 2, asking the question if I could connect a blu-ray player to an old television. This post continued on to here at its final posting site to explain how to connect a new blu-ray DVD player to a 13 year old television. It is a great lesson and worth reading.

As a novice I unabashedly asked some questions over and finally I HEARD the answer. That's the way it goes when learning from scratch at any age.
    It also shows the power and the generosity of the Computer Help forum.

I give my final results on July 28, 2012 with a shout out called Mike Kaiser, can I talk to you. Yes I was successful but so was Mike who kept me going over and over again with his visual aids from the actual DVD I was planning on buying and Zep who gave me a good chart that everyone should take to Best Buy if they tell you it can't be done. Damcoy started me with his encouragement to not linger with old technology and Grandms as always looked in on my progress.