SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biwako_of_abi

Can hardly ever access Lycos mail anymore.

biwako_of_abi
13 years ago

This is different from the trouble I had back in December, because most of the time I can't access my Inbox at all. I found the following in a Lycos Help FAQ:

"We have updated Lycos Mail to a new and improved version. (powered by Zimbra)

If you are using a third-party email client such as Microsoft Outlook,

Thunderbird, or MacOS X Mail, you will need to update your email settings (POP/IMAP and SMTP) now. These changes are required to improve the security of your email and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Your new settings:

POP Server: pop.lycos.com

IMAP Server: imap.lycos.com

SMTP (Outgoing Email) Server: smtp.lycos.com

IMPORTANT NOTE: Lycos recommends that all users access email via the IMAP protocol instead of POP. IMAP allows for seamless offline storage of emails, support for folders, and other improvements. In addition, some POP users may experience bugs such as mails appearing twice or being downloaded again while migrating to the new system."

I have WinXP, media edition, cable Internet service, and use FireFox. I never use Outlook.

My trouble is that (1) I don't know how or where to make the changes Lycos is recommending, (2) I'm not sure whether or not they would make a difference in my case, since I am able to access my email once or twice a day, if I try frequently, and (3) I am worried that if I make those changes and can access Lycos, I might start having trouble accessing the other emails I use, Hotmail, Netzero, and Gmail.

Can anyone please help me with these three things? Being unable to freely access the mail I used to use the most when making online purchases and for messages from the forums I visit is infuriating.

Comments (9)