Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I defrag a scan disk?

Posted by minnie_tx (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 3, 11 at 0:56

I have a little Scandisk cruzer mini 1.0 GB

I use it to transfer MP3 files created on one computer to a different computer. After trnsfering I also delete the files on it and reuse it.

Tonight I transferred 2 files and followed the routine then checked the properties on the disk and it read 931MB used and 45MB free space
The pie chart shows just a tiny sliver of free space. Is ther a lot of hidden stuff I need to get off of it?

TIA
I read someplace you shouldn't defrag these things

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I defrag a scan disk?

I have defraged flash drives occasionally. One hidden/plugged in drive in my laptop is an express card drive bought on sale for low bucks which turned out in fact really to be nothing more than just a usb flash drive in the express card form - it is constantly defragged by my automatic Perfect Disk program.

o

I was wrong I have a San)disk that I use not a ScanDisk

o
RE: Can I defrag

I tried o defrag it but it said not enough room to do it and remove files. There are no files showing on the disk weird

o

Might go to folder options in control panel, choose the view tab.. unhide 3 or 4 things there. Varied by computer... mine= the picture below.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://prntscr.com/27gxu

o

If Mikie's method above does not give you the fix you could always reformat the thumb drive. To do so
click start
click My computer
right click on the thumb drive
click Format in the pop up window
select Fat32 or NTFS

MAKE SURE you have selected the right drive because everything gets erased!!!

o

Wow That was fast thanks !!

? someone said to hit eject when removing drives do I hve to? or just pull it out? TIA

o

DO NOT pull it out Minnie.

If you have XP there is a small icon near the clock with a left facing arrow on it. Hover over and the info will appear. Click this then click the pop up to remove, wait till it says it is good to remove

Windows 7. Right click on Start
right click on the thumb drive on the left side of your screen
in the pop up click to eject.

o

I have xp If I right click on the drive numbe there is place to hit eject which I do but no notice about ok It will jump down to a lower drive and my control panel shows up so then I take it out figuring that is the thing to do

o

Minnie,

Obviously if you are using a thumb drive the data on it is important to you. To not remove the drive "safely" places this data in harms way. The most common drive failures caused by unsafe removal are loss of data, data converted to read only, and loss of space on drive.

DA

o

Thanks everyone for your help right now I'm using the thumb drive for transferring into from one to the other .
Happy 4th !!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here