Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paying for driver updates on Samsung

Posted by keithbc (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 23:25

I have had a Samsung laptop NP550 P5C for nearly two years and have put up with a lot of foibles from this slab. In the meantime, I have added two Canon printers; a Pixma MP620 and a Pixma MG5520. Both operate fine but I get 'Update Driver' for both of them. When I do so I am asked for $29.95 for the driver support software. Is this cash grab something from Samsung or is it from Canon??
I's love to hear from 'non Samsung' users on this!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paying for driver updates on Samsung

What's the full URL of the site when you get hit for the fee? At this Canon location it's free: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mg_series/pixma_mg5220#DriversAndSoftware

Here is a link that might be useful: Pixma MG5520 driver from Canon.

o

Thank you for the slap across the head!!!! I checked in the Canadian site for both printers and although both have updates, neither will affect the operation of he printers for my personal use. It must be Samsung going for the extra buck. I do have my own opinion of Samsung but I must not put it on paper. Thank you again- go to the source no matter where it is!!

o

Thank you for the slap across the head!!!! I checked in the Canadian site for both printers and although both have updates, neither will affect the operation of he printers for my personal use. It must be Samsung going for the extra buck. I do have my own opinion of Samsung but I must not put it on paper. Thank you again- go to the source no matter where it is!!

o

Updating drivers is usually not necessary if the relevant hardware functions as intended. Installing a version with a later date most often accomplishes nothing and when attempted by an inexperienced user, can lead to undesired consequences.

My motto for fixing things is "If it's working, leave it alone".

o

You are absolutely right! Even more with electronics in the hands of, as you so kindly put it, of less than experienced users. Not quite the same as the mandatory upgrades from Windows, iTunes etc.
Thanks for the reassurance

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here