SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thirdfrt

Need Current Malwarebytes Download for Windows XP

thirdfrt
12 years ago

Hi,

I need the current Free Malwarebytes For Windows XPSP3.

This is for my sister. She Called Microsoft to have her computer fixed and they sent her to IYogi and they fixed it, in the process they removed her Malwarebytes program and I have no idea why they would do that.

Would you please send me the Free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.51.0.1200 to me, so that I can email her the link so she can download it again.

I googled it but what I see is DownLoad then Buy Now below that. She wants the free version 1.51.0.1200. I am unsure which one she should use so thought I would get your help on this.

Thank you very much.

thirdfrt!!!

Comments (32)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here you go. The Free Download button is on the lower left.

Here is a link that might be useful: Malwarebytes Free

• owbist
    12 years ago

I suspect that if your sister were to look around she would find that IYogi has replaced Malwarebytes with something they just happen to sell so she is no doubt still protected. They show the McAfee banner in the bottom corner so perhaps that is what they have installed.

• Related Discussions

XP Windows upgrade to 32-Bit Windows 7

Q

Comments (7)
    When you speak of upgrading "my Dell computer", you're not speaking of installing an upgrade over top of XP are you? If so, I misunderstand, so disregard the rest of my post. :) So I'm assuming you intend to purchase a retail version of Windows 7 and do a clean install. In the first line of your post you mention 512 MB of RAM, a date, and then 2.00 GB of RAM. Does that mean it now has 2.00 GB of RAM or maybe 2 1/2 GB of RAM? Either way, I'm no expert but I'd think 512 MB is less than enough, but either 2 or 2 1/2 GB would be fine. I don't know much about Office, but wasn't Office 2003 was the last version that had the old style menu, before the newfangled ribbon came along. According to this, your Office 2002 would not be compatible but according to this, Office 2003 would be. Would your 2002 macros work in 2003? I don't know. Would it be worth the expense of buying a retail version of Windows 7, as well as Office 2003(or at least Word)? To me, probably not, to you, only you can decide. Personally, since it works, I'd probably just continue using it. Continue running a good real-time AV, occasionally scanning with a couple on-demand malware tools(Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware come to mind), use Firefox or Chrome(lie detected), using the WOT add-on(trusting it somewhat less than fully), and being careful what I open(email) and what I install. Just my opinion though. Edit: GrammerGrammar Edit2: Spelling This post was edited by chuggerguy on Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 3:10
    ...See More

Windows XP - is it time to get SP3?

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks, Ravencajun. Before I saw those careful instructions, my daughter's PC was prompting to install SP3 - so I did (about a week ago). At first I thought we got lucky and all went well. She has so little on her computer that I thought it was a good place to start. However, now she's getting flickering - if that's the right word for it. For instance, she's looking at her inbox in gmail - and it keeps scrolling over and over so she isn't able to click on one email and open it. It's also scrolling too quickly to hit the sign out button. Ultimately I hit alt-cont-delete to end gmail. I believe we saw this flickering in another program the other day - it seems that little green boxes were flashing at points along the screen. I realize this may have nothing to do with SP3. So I should probably mention, she has a dell dimension 4500 - 40GB hard drive, 768 MB Ram, Firefox browser. It's possible all the trouble has come within the Firefox browser - I'm not sure. Anything else that might need fixing or updating that could cause this. Thanks. Lynn.
    ...See More

Windows XP vs Windows Vista

Q

Comments (9)
    After much debate, I decided on XP because of software compatibility issues and information sharing between the new computer and the older XP. Both computers are used for work and must work together. I purchased the new computer to upgrade, down-the-line, to Vista. One problem I didn't consider was MS Office. The new machine was only sold with Office 07. The older machine has Office 03. All Word docs have to be saved at 03 docs on the new machine in order to be opened on the older machine. I guess it depends on what you use it for. I didn't have time to fool with getting Vista to work with what I need for work.
    ...See More

Need help find WindowsXP on my computer?

Q

Comments (7)
    Bree look on the side panel or top of the case and there should be a sticker there telling you Windows XP is inside and there should be a product key listed too. Was this a new computer? Was it local built? Go to my link below and download the small SIW program. It does not need to be installed, just double click on the exe file and it will run. This will tell you so much about your computer it is amazing. On the first screen click the second choice down on the left side - Operating system. In the new window you will see it tells you if your is XP Pro or Home and if it is full retail or OEM - I suspect OEM but that is fine. This is the top line on my computer, yours would look similar and hopefully say the service pack 2 is installed. Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 Look further down the right window and record the Product key (not the serial number as that is not so important) for future reference (this is the key that should be on the sticker somewhere on the outside of your case. I would suggest confronting the vendor but at this stage we do not know what you purchased or what you paid Here is a link that might be useful: Gregory Topala's SIW program
    ...See More
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Download.com

it is free, if you want it to go into full version that one is the one you have to pay for, it runs full time protection the free one is manual you updated it and run the scans on your own.

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

She says that she has support dock on her computer could that be a replacement for Malwarebytes? If she puts Malwarebytes in would it conflict with the support dock?

thirdfrt!!!

• grandms
    12 years ago

The free version of Malwarebytes will not conflict with anything since it is a demand only scanner. It does not run except when you manually run a scan.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

the one thing I would caution about support dock is that it does have registry clearer components and I would not recommend using that aspect ever. Especially by someone who is not well versed on the registry and the damages that can occur when it is messed with.

be sure that it is understood that malwarebytes must be updated prior to running the scan each time and use the full scan mode.

I would also recommend installing spywareblaster, just install it open it once a week hit update then hit enable all protection so the shield turns green then close, that is it, it sits in the background and protects you and does not conflict with anything.
    SpywareBlaster

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am going to visit her on Monday or Tuesday of next week. Why would Microsoft send her to Iyogi in the first place? Is this something new that they are doing now? I have not read to many good things about iyogi and I am wondering if she should even have it left on her computer. What is support Dock and what is its purpose and should she keep that? She did tell me that she had no problems with the guy from iyogi and that he fixed the problem that she was having and that is good but I myself am wondering about iyogi and is support Dock a part of iyogi or is this totally something else?

Is there a way of setting the support dock so that she wouldn't be able to use the registry fix? I'm asking this now before I go down there. With these answers I can email it to her, then when I am down there I can follow all instructions to protect her computer.

They show the McAfee banner in the bottom corner so perhaps that is what they have installed.

owbist,

She told me that there is no McAfee banner there and that she is using Norton Antivirus and that may be the reason why there isn't any banner.

Thanks pkponder and raven for the links to Malwarebytes.
    I have version 1.51.0.1200 which is the version I was looking for.

grandms: Thanks, now I know it won't conflict with any other programs.

Thanks to everyone for your help and support, if there is anything that I need to do please leave me instuctions that I can follow while I am there.

thirdfrt!!!

• TulsaRose
    12 years ago

Here's a little heads-up about iYogi. It's one of those telephone marketing "scams" (for lack of a better word) to sell PC Optimization software junk. It has no affiliation with Microsoft Corporation.

1) "iYogi" - Annual unlimited PC support $169.99 a year

2) "Support Dock" - a product from iYogi that cost $29.99

Take a quick look at some of the links found at this Google Search re: "iYogi"

I detest seeing these rip-offs taking advantage of unsuspecting, inexperienced people!

• TulsaRose
    12 years ago

Hopefully your sister only downloaded their trial software so she won't get stuck for big bucks. Be sure to check they didn't remove any of her other protection programs.

Rosie

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I helped my sister with the download of Malwarebytes last night. She has it in her add/remove programs, on her desktop but, it didn't show up in her all programs. When I downloaded Malwarebytes a few years ago it was put on the desktop, add/remove programs and in programs.

My question is why didn't it go to her programs like mine did? She should have it in 3 different places and she only has it in two. Any ideas?

thirdfrt!!!

• owbist
    12 years ago

She should have it in 3 different places and she only has it in two

Are you referring to the icons on the desktop, taskbar and quick launch bar? Remember that with XP one has to click the toolbars option after a right click on the taskbar to activate the Quick launch bar. Sis may not have done that.

You really should consider trying Teamviewer to be able to assist your sister remotely. You would click to install the complete and free program and sis would click the "Join a session" link just below. That way you can either sit back and tutor her along watching every keystroke and mouse click or you can take over and do the chores needed. She is protected because each link up needs a randomly generated password.

You can talk to each other with the program too, but so far I have not tried that as we use Skype anyway, I should give it a try ;~)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

I do not know enough about iyogi to comment but I have seen bad reviews and the support dock is one of their products which is not a free product. Did she give them her credit card? And why did she think microsoft was who sent her to iyogi?

usually in the install of malwarebytes it ask if you want to put the various icons on desktop and quicklaunch bar she may have not oked that screen. However it should show up in her programs.
    The version number will change as the program updates so pay no attention to the version number being the same as yours just update it each time it is opened and before use and you will have the latest definitions and version.

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi owbist,

Are you referring to the icons on the desktop, taskbar and quick launch bar? Remember that with XP one has to click the toolbars option after a right click on the taskbar to activate the Quick launch bar. Sis may not have done that.

When we were going through the download it had the two options, one for the Desktop and one for the Quick Launch Bar. I told her not to choose the Quick Launch Bar and only to choose the one to make the shortcut for the Desktop.The reason I did that was because I remember back when it wasn't a good thing to have things go into the quick launch bar. She does not have a check mark next to the quick launch bar under the tool bar section.

You really should consider trying Teamviewer to be able to assist your sister remotely. You would click to install the complete and free program and sis would click the "Join a session" link just below. That way you can either sit back and tutor her along watching every keystroke and mouse click or you can take over and do the chores needed. She is protected because each link up needs a randomly generated password.

If I understand this correctly I would have to do this: Example: For the 1st time of use let's say the password would be home. If you had to go back in for a second time then you would have to change the password and use house instead. In other words for each time I would need to go in I would have to change the pass word to something else. Am I right?

I don't need to use the computer as a phone because, I am able to use my normal home phone and I can talk as long as I need without extra charge on my long distance.

Raven,

Did she give them her credit card? And why did she think microsoft was who sent her to iyogi?

Yes she did and she was told that he was from Microsoft and then when he needed help he switched her over to iyogi. That is what she told me.

Here is what I found on the internet.

1. Yes... Its is a SCAM...!!
    Beware when you call HP, Dell, Acer, Toshiba, Sony or any other computer related companies..
    They majorly target on people who are Norton, McAfee, AVG and similar Anti-Virus product for protection against internet threats..
    Once you search the Phone Numbers for the above mentioned companies, you'll get a toll-free number flashed at the very top on the search engine page.. Even Google, iYogi pays huge amount of money to Google and other Search Engines to show their phone numbers as a search result.

2. Companies are using IYogi for their IT support...Microsoft, Shield Deluxe, HP etc. When you call for assistance technician tells you there are more problems and in order for them to help you you must purchase their $139.00 computer repair package. I paid this and the technician started working on my computer and in the middle of the job he said it was time for him to go home. He said he would finish the next day...in the mean time he had taken my virus protection and my spyware protection off my computer leaving me unprotected.

I have posted a link on this subject.

My sister said she found the phone number for Microsoft and spoke to one of their techs and since he had problems with the fix he asked her if he could switch her to another person and she said yes. That's all I know about that. She told me that the other person fixed her computer and then offered her a 1 year, 2 year or 3 year for support if she needs any other help. She chose the 1 Year and paid them for it. iyogi is on her computer and so is Support Dock. I don't know what to tell her, since they fixed her computer and didn't do anything else odd it is hard for me to get through to her that this could have been a scam. She lost her husband a couple of years ago and she doesn't have anyone who can lift that desktop computer to take it into a shop. Whoever fixed her computer did right by her on that but I wonder about the 1 year support thing. I told her that she should call her Credit Card Company to make sure there is only the charge for the one year on it. Rather she has or not I don't know. She tells me that she doesn't want to talk about it anymore. I did talk her into downloading Malwarebytes again (that they removed) and she ran a scan and everything showed up OK. I also told her not to touch the iyogi or the support dock thing to leave it alone until she gets her bill. She hasn't touched it.

Raven,

Did she give them her credit card? And why did she think microsoft was who sent her to iyogi?

Yes. Because the guy told her he was from Microsoft when she asked him and when he couldn't fix the problem he asked her if he could use someone from iyogi to help her and she then said yes. Once again that is all that I know. She said the Microsoft guy was hard to understand and was from India. I think he said they wouldn't charge her this time but if she needed more help later they would charge her. (Microsoft guy told her this)

My question is if the iyogi program that is on her computer is just the means to access her computer they can't access it again unless she OKs it right? Should she get rid of iyogi? Should she get rid of support Dock? Sounds like the fix was $139.99 and the support dock cost her $30.00 total $169.99.

Now I would like to get back to the Malwarebytes question.

usually in the install of malwarebytes it asks if you want to put the various icons on desktop and quick launch bar she may have not oked that screen. However it should show up in her programs.

Yes it did ask that question, did she want it on her desktop (yes) and did she want it on the quick launch (she did not put a check mark there). I explained why above.

I do know that it is on her Desktop and in Add/Remove Programs. It is not in her All Programs though. Like you said Raven it should be in All Programs but it isn't, could that be because she didn't choose the quick launch choice?

Can you link me to a site that shows how to download Malwarebytes with the questions that it asks? Should you be able to down load it without having to shut off Norton? I am thinking about removing it and re downloading it but I need to know what to do so that it will show up in All Programs as well as the Desktop and Add/Remove Programs.

Thanks Owbist and Raven for your help. I will look back later tomorrow.

thirdfrt!

Here is a link that might be useful: Complaints Board

• owbist
    12 years ago

Thirdfrt, I have always used the Quick launch bar and found it very useful. Using desktop icons means you need to iconise whatever is on the screen to access the desktop icons, not too productive methinks. The Quick launch is always visible. I allow no icons on my desktop,I like my photos that are wallpaper so I also click the desktop toolbar and a desktop icon appears on the taskbar near the clock. Clicking the icon brings up a vertical list of all the desktop icons.

Teamviewer. Here is the procedure, you install the program and sis merely clicks to "Join a session" on the website. Sis will then relay a numeric 9 digit code which will then always be her identifier to you. You enter the number in the window and click "Connect to partner", once connected another small window appears and your sister will relay the numerical randomly generated 4 digit password for you to enter. Once done her screen will appear on your computer.

Now you have control of her screen, mouse and keyboard or you can watch and direct her movements. The secret if you are doing the work is for her not to move the mouse because she still has control and more so than you.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

If she has the desktop icon and is able to run the malwarebytes scan then she is good, just update it prior to doing the scans each time.

I do have malwarebytes on my quick launch bar, somethings I add there some not.

I would be a bit concerned as to what she has agreed to and what she is going to be charged, my bet is it will be one of those deals that you have to tell them you no longer want the service or they just continue to bill your credit card. That really needs to be checked into and possibly alert the credit card company.

I installed team viewer on my sisters computer so that anytime I need to help her it is already on there and we can start a session, as Owbist said it is a very good option when trying to help someone that is not close by.

The thing that really bothers me is that with out permission he removed a very good well known security program from her pc, that in itself would concern me, they should never be removing anything with out direct permission and only if it is harmful in some way, not the case with malwarebytes at all. Perhaps they were hopeful that now with out malwarebytes she would get malware and they would be the ones she would turn to and keep turning to.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

along these same lines this is an article that was just out about some of these scams, now even happening on our phones

Microsoft Alert � Huge Phone Scam

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

owbist,

That sounds really great. I wouldn't mind downloading it but I was wondering something. Would it be possible for me to download it to a folder and use it from there instead of having it on my desktop?

One more question: Does it use any resources?

Raven,

I installed team viewer on my sisters computer so that anytime I need to help her it is already on there and we can start a session, as Owbist said it is a very good option when trying to help someone that is not close by.

Does my sister have to install it on her computer for me to be able to help her? I am going down on Monday to see her so I need to know this.

OK, then it doesn't matter that she doesn't have Malwarebytes in her All Programs? Yes it works when she clicks on it to run it from her Desktop. No Problems there.

I thought it rather fishy that they removed Malwarebytes but, she has it back now and can use it to protect her computer. She never had it before and when her son and dil came for a visit a couple of weeks ago her dil installed it. Then they removed it and then I helped her reinstall it.

Has anyone used Logmein?

thirdfrt!!!

• owbist
    12 years ago

Teamviewer - Logmein - same soup different gravy.

When not in use Teamviewer uses no resources, when being used it is quite heavy. Remember you are transmitting her screen in it's entirety in real time. You may not see her wallpaper depending on the capabilities of both computers, I never see my sister's or BIL's wallpaper as their machine are not robust enough, some others I see it.

If you have some reluctance re this program remember you do have the Add/Remove programs feature at your fingertips at any time to get rid of it. Having used it for probably 3 years or more and connected to computers on 2 continents I cannot see a single downside to this great freebie

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

I have to agree, Teamviewer is a fabulous tool that I use often to help friends and family without a drive to their home.

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi owbist,

You didn't answer this question.

Would it be possible for me to download it to a folder and use it from there instead of having it on my desktop?

The reason I would like to know is, because I wouldn't want my grandchildren getting into it, so if I have it in a folder in my documents then they wouldn't see it and no one else would either in case I would have to take it to a shop.

thirdfrt!!!

• owbist
    12 years ago

Oops, sorry 'bout that. If you mean the starting icon of course you could place it inside a folder. Easier though would be to delete it from the desktop then when you need it use the Start/All programs method.

There is little the kiddywinks could do with Teamviewer as you would see once installed. Take a squint at these screenshots and you will see what I mean. Click on the first one to increase the size and you can see the options are quite limited. That is the start up screen

Kids from 5 to 15 are much smarter than you or I so forget trying to fool 'em. Store techs have a vague idea where to look around too if they feel the need. Why would you spare 2 seconds to be concerned about what anyone might see on your computer? Secondly you have come here often enough with smart questions so that if you were to overcome any nervousness you could fix anything on your computer including swapping out hardware if it is a desktop machine.

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks owbist,

Why would you spare 2 seconds to be concerned about what anyone might see on your computer?

"LOL" I just thought the kids might think it is some kind of game and start messing with it and since it would be something new that I have never messed with before, I wouldn't know what to do if they did something thinking it was a game. Kids will be kids and I am normally there to tell them not to do certain things but, if I got distracted for some reason and forgot to tell them then I would be at a loss as to what to do to fix it.

Also I took my computer into this shop once and they removed things that they thought used a lot of resources. Now a couple of things they removed I didn't mind but, there was one program they removed and it made me mad. I called them and told them for now on they get my permission before they remove anything. I just thought if it wasn't on the desktop staring them in the face that they wouldn't be tempted to remove it. There is a method to my madness. "LOL"

Those are the two things that entered my mind so that is why I asked.

Thanks for the info, I saved it and will have to look at it later. We are under a severe thunderstorm watch and I hear it thundering so I need to go now to unplug.

thirdfrt!!!

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Raven or owbist,

I think I asked this question and I don't remember getting an answer.

Question: Does my sister have to have Teamviewer on her computer too in order for me to access her computer?

thirdfrt!!!

• owbist
    12 years ago

She can but does not have to. Go to the link and you will see that underneath the download button is a link the says "Join a session" That is what she needs to do then follow along. It is either 2 or 3 moves she will need to make. As I have not been the one needing the help I do not use that part.

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi to all,

I went to my sisters and just returned yesterday. While I was there I had the tech who built my computer to look over her computer. He said that she had no viruses or Trojans and that after looking over her computer he recommended that we remove iyogi and so I did.

I ran a full scan in Malwarebytes and everything showed OK. Then I ran a full system scan in Norton and that came back OK.

It looked like everything was OK on the days I was there but today she told me that the orginal error message has popped up again.

It says: Windows no disk Exception Processing Message.cooooo13 Parameters 75B6BF7c, 75B6BF7c, 75B6BF7c.

This pops up when she starts her computer up.

thirdfrt!!!

• owbist
    12 years ago

Looks like a simple registry hack will cure that.

Take a look at this thread and scroll down to the post by abolobna dated 29 08 2010

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi owbist,

Someone sent me line by line instructions on how to do that, the only thing different from abolobna's instructions and the one that I have is when you get to Errormode mine says to double click on it and abolobna says to right click on it. Does it matter if you double click on it or right click on it, will the box pop up either way?

thirdfrt!!!

• owbist
    12 years ago

Here is the word from Microsoft, they say the right click.

Be sure to create a backup of the registry before proceeding for your protection of course. Forgot to mention that in the previous post, sorry about that.

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow now you are really challenging me. "Smiles"

I do much better if I have a picture along with the instructions. Then I can do anything I think. "Smiles"

So that you will know I have never backed up anything because I am not sure of myself on it. I think I need to take lessons for that one.

Now I have learned how to put stuff into a flash drive and save my files.

thirdfrt!!!

• owbist
    12 years ago

Ok this is simple now. Just use Google and type edit registry and millions of hits appear. Look through the first few and you will find many tutorials with good graphics showing step by step.

You are nervous and rightly so because of all the warnings about messing up a registry. HOWEVER, this is nothing more than making a correction to a spelling error if you look at it that way.

First time just go into the registry working down to the needed page. Once there you can walk away and grab a coffee if you feel stress, or you can make the simple correction to the one entry in question.

Those of us who help others always need to stress the importance of caution in the registry because of those who are so impetuous. my ex son in law is a good example, he goes into a computer like a bull in a china shop. Luckily I do not have to clean up behind him anymore :)

Now I have learned how to put stuff into a flash drive and save my files.
    Why? You are going to back up the registry as a precaution, nothing more.

To save your work, assuming it is stored in My Documents.
    Insert the thumb drive, cancel the popup
    right click Start
    click Explore
    Now you see Windows Explorer opened
    Look near the top on the left side and right click on My Documnts
    click Properties in the pop up
    Look to see how large the My Documents folder is and if you have enough room on the thumb drive.
    We'll assume you have room. OK....

Click My Documents to highlight
    On the right side click the top item to highlight
    Hold down the Shift key and tap the End key
    now all the right side is highlighted
    right click anywhere on the highlighted data
    click Copy in the pop up

Scroll down the left side now to find the thumb drive
    right click on it
    in the pop up click Paste and the contents are copied to your thumb drive - or any other drive you designate.
    Done!

Simple huh?

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi owbist,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back with you. With the holiday and having my grandchildren back I have been busy and didn't have the time to read your last post to me.

I am going to save your information so that I won't lose it. Not only have I been busy but I am also experiencing some neck and back pain. I went to the doctor and have to go back in on Monday. It will get better but it will take some time.

Thank you owbist for jumping in and trying to help. Please bare with me for now and I will get back to you with a new thread after I start feeling better. I don't concentrate very well when not feeling well.

Thanks a lot for all of your information. "Smiles" I'm headed now to go in and see if I can copy that part of your thread.

thirdfrt!!!

• owbist
    12 years ago

Hey you look after yourself and the grandchildren too. This stuff can be taken care of at any time you feel you wish to tackle it.