Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Search a user's threads on GardenWeb.com?

Posted by karyn (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 22:28

I'd like to search to find all threads started by a particular username - or all posts by a user.

Obviously one can use "search" above - but if it's a person's name - a thousand other people with the same name come up too and it's too much to wade through.

MOST forums have a way to click on the username and then "see all threads/posts" by the user - but not this one. Any idea how this is done?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Search a user's threads on GardenWeb.com?

go to google and enter the user's name in quotes with the following exact text, to look like this:

"karyn" site:ths.gardenweb.com

o

The search function at the bottom of the page works much better than the one at the top.

o

Maybe I am not understanding you. I searched by users name a couple of days ago, but I just clicked on search to be sure and it goes away and it can't be used. Something has changed.

o

Snidely & sushi - Thanks! Of course I was using the search at the top - you're right, for whatever reason the one on the bottom is much better

Google search works better on THS than the entire GardenWeb.com however. For instance - it shows the same results as the top search box -

"insert-name-here" site:forums.gardenweb.com

If "insert-name-here" is a common word, the result shows every instance of that word - where I was hoping to find just one user's posts only - or limit it to the name of the thread starter or something.

Regardless, this is at least an improvement now - so thanks!

o

Try searching for the whole name header to the posts,

User Name: lazygardens

Instead of just the name, if it's returning too many results for a common user name.

o

And with Google you may be able to eliminate things you don't want by putting a minus sign in front of it.

Search operators

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here