Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need to download MPEG 2 Decoder for

Posted by loralee (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 3, 11 at 22:14

I have windows XP. I need to play a DVD instructional DVD. It will not play as I get this message.

Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer.

I found many sites but can't locate a Microsoft site to down load from. Do you know of a trusted site I can get this downloaded from?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need to download MPEG 2 Decoder for

o

I could not get this download to work for me after installing it. The reason I think is..

I have Nero CD/DVD burner and every time I try to play the DVD Nero pops up and says it can't play it that I need to download their decorder.

I can't find where to go to disable temporarily Nero while I watch the video with Media player. Is there a way to temporarily disable Nero? Or do you have another suggestion? I was going to watch this DVD at my daughters but there were so many instructions and details for this new software on it that i will need to be at home watching the DVD and so That I can practice what the video is teaching me.
At least I think The Widows media player would play the DVD.

I tried to download the 30 days free trial with Nero but it recognized that I already had Windows media 3.0 installed and said I needed to uninstall it. Which I did then Nero did not have what it needed to install their 30 days free trial. So then I had to go back to the internet and download the Windows media 3.5 again. I am ready to try this again tonight.

Thank you for your help. I am way over my head with this.

o

Right click on the file name of the video and choose 'open with' on the drop down menu. Coose Windows Media Player to play it. If it is not listed click the 'Browse' button and browse to Windows Media Player.

o

I am still trying to be able to play A DVD so I can figure out how to work a tool that I bought.

Is there a safe site I can go to and download a free Windows Media player DVD plug in decorder MPEG-2.

On the windows site they suggested four different softwares to buy and down load. I do not purchase anything over the internet.

thank you for answering.

o

Forget all of the Windows Stuff!

Download this: VLC

o

absolutely just get VLC it works great and plays almost every thing. I use it on all of my computers

o

Thank you, I have it downloaded and now was able to get the DVD to work. IT does not play automatically, so I am struggling to get it to work for me.

I have never played a DVD video before. I still have VHS for the TV.

There are such things as chapters and I click to go to the next one and nothing happens. I have played the first couple over many times and the last one too on the DVD. Learning new things are so difficult.

I wish my grandchildren lived closer they sure could help me out. We tried over the phone but we didn't get it fixed where I could learn how to use it.

I thought it was going to be so simple and just put the DVD and it would do the rest.

o

IT does not play automatically, so I am struggling to get it to work for me.

Not sure how XP works but you set up autoplay in your default programs folder.

There should be a place where you click on 'change autoplay settings'.

After you have set VLC as your default for dvd's and or cd's you go to the autoplay settings and set it to play upon disc insert.

o
Better Explanation

Here is a better explanation for setting your autoplay.

Here is a link that might be useful: XP Autoplay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here