Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to check upon getting refurbished tablet

Posted by abreeze (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 21:57

I ordered a refurbished tablet for my sister from Walmart.com. I'm familiar with computers but a novice with Android and tablets. What all should I look for to make sure the refurbished model is OK (as far as one can tell?) I remember reading some pointers that Raven listed for somebody, but I can't seem to find that thread.

She lives out of state, and I need to make sure any problems are taken care of before I deliver it. She has never been able to use the laptop due to her poor vision and inability to maneuver the cursor. I'm excited about her being able to use Google voice search and touch the screen. Also, the home screen and keyboard should be easier to see and use. I bought an Acer Iconia 10.1" tablet A210-10g16u that, according to reviews, has a good screen.

Thanks for your help.
abreeze

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to check upon getting refurbished tablet

I just bought a refurbished iPad from the Apple store and talked with them first. They said that sometimes refurbished units had nothing wrong with them, but were simply a return after the purchaser changed his/her mind. At a minimum, Apple puts in a new battery and provides a new shell. It also comes with a full one-year warranty, just like brand new units. When I got it, it was packaged just like the brand new iPad I purchased last year and was pristine looking, including a spotless screen.

I suggest you call Acer and ask what they do to prepare a tablet for resale, bearing in mind what I mentioned above.

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 12:28

o

I bought a refurbished Sylvania tablet at Big Lots for less than a hundred dollars and I like it, no problems. They have some now but I did not recognize the brand names except for Polaroid.

o

There's no good reason for you to "recognize" the names of either Sylvania or Polaroid on a tablet.

These names don't belong on tablets any more than if you saw one labeled "Kleenex". I believe any consumer electronics so labeled does so under license, The products are produced by an unidentified company and the "brand name" is put on the product. It's very misleading, just don't think you bought better quality because the reputation you're thinking of belongs to a different company.

Sylvania makes light bulbs and Polaroid made cameras before it went bankrupt. A new buyer is using the name.

Edit - Ooops, PS to OP
I have a few Acer products and have had very good experience with them, they seem to make good stuff. I'd have high expectations for their tablet.

This post was edited by snidely on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 17:25

o

Thanks for the encouragement, Snidely. I've been pleased with Acer products, too.

I found the thread in which Raven lists a number of pointers for anyone who buys a refurbished tab. The link is below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Raven? about your Asus tablet

o

I personally would certainly consider purchasing a refurbished unit from a manufacturer if the price was right, but not from a purveyor unless it was near to being free.

The deal breaker would be a full manufacturer"s warranty. No reduction. No remainder. Full factory only.

DA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here