Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MS Remova; tool just did a scan

Posted by minnie_tx (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 5, 11 at 21:01

It found 38 items but wont remove unless I buy some program it has deactivated my other malware, etc tools what can I do

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MS Remova; tool just did a scan

You're infected and should go to a Malware removal forum see link provided.

MS Removal Tool is a computer infection from the same family as System Tool. This infection is also categorized as a rogue anti-spyware program as it pretends to be an anti-virus program, but is actually a program that displays fake security alerts and scan results in order to make you think your computer is infected. MS Removal Tool is installed through the use of malware that will install the program onto your computer without your knowledge or permission. When installed, the infection files will be created in a random named folder in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\, in XP, or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\, in Windows Vista and Windows 7. It will then be configured to start automatically when you login to your computer.

Once running it will scan your computer and state that there are numerous infections present, but will not allow you to remove them until you purchase the program. It is important to understand that MS Removal Tool is scripted to display fake scan results regardless of whether or not your computer is infected. Therefore, please do not be concerned if this program states you are infected. MS Removal Tool will also terminate any executables that you attempt to run in order to protect itself from being removed. When you attempt to run any program, it will terminate that program's process .

Here is a link that might be useful: Malware removal help.

o

Thanks I'm ging to give it a try I got to the forum via Explorer and it is strange to me forgive me
going to try now

o
REtriedot

zep I went there and registered then got the dreaded black screen which initiated a reboot fraid to go back

o
reboot

Where do you stand now? Can you reboot to windows?

o

Thanks zep
I'm on dial up right now I did what you said and registered at the mal site and got the black screen and shut down 3 times. DS sent me a microsoft tool site and it downloaded half then shut down again.

It blocked ll my files and even system restore etc,

dial up is so slow too.
took the computer to the geeks at Office depot yesterday and they couldn't get an internet link with my ether card (hope I'm saying it right) it worked befor it left the house BTW.
took them until today to clean out all the virus' while we were their they got a couple of calls from their associates asking about cleaning this virus up so it must have hit quite a few.

Anyway ether (internet connection wont work at home nymore) I did do a double virus scan on my personal files and transferred them to my Sea Disk drive
Thank goodness for my DS who has been the go between between me and the computer people.

I'm still on AOL (love it when it's good) and have unlimited dial up as a benefit cant get on explorer until I either get the new computer which I want to do or get the ether connection fixed whatever that is.."I feel violated and the people who compose and send those virus should be hung IMHO
Thanks again for your help

o

I would be very interested to know how much Office Depot charged to fix your computer.

If you feel it is still not totally clean perhaps you could ask your DS to download the Bitdefender Recue CD from the link below and run it on your computer. This is assuming DS has high speed of course.

He/you would then perhaps need to enter the BIOS to alter the sequence of drives at start up to have the CD recognised first. Then insert the CD, start the computer and follow the few easy prompts and it will scan for you without Windows running. It is a very good program.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bitdefender recovery CD

o

DS has the receipts but I'll let you know
thanks sent him your info also

o

owbist
$149 + 10 for McAfee and $50 for serevice

Can I also copy some programs over to my other drive like Word, Works and some other little ones I like will they also work then on another computer??
TIA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here