Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TOTALLY Cleaning My LapTop

Posted by 1JanetH (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 20:57

My question is this: How do I totally clean my laptop of the "deleted" "trashed" items?

I know how to perform disc defragment & disc cleanup. I know how to remove unwanted desktop icons and of course virus scans. I do all of this regularly but I want to know how to give my system a good cleaning....how to make it run a bit faster, smoother, etc. Things like pictures, music, unused files that I've transferred to cds. But somehow still show up from time to time. I want those pesky things gone LOL

I don't know how to stop things on the startup menu when first booting the system. I know that would help also.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TOTALLY Cleaning My LapTop

This utility displays the list of all applications that are loaded automatically when Windows starts up. For each application, the following information is displayed: Startup Type (Registry/Startup Folder), Command-Line String, Product Name, File Version, Company Name, Location in the Registry or file system, and more.
It allows you to easily disable or delete unwanted programs that run in your Windows startup.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/what_run_in_startup.html

o

"I don't know how to stop things on the startup menu when first booting the system. I know that would help also."

Another option for you is to do the following:

1. Go to your search box on your Start menu and type in msconfig. Hit ENTER.

2. Click on the Startup tab and you will be presented with a list of programs that load at startup.

3. Uncheck the programs you do not want to load at startup. Click Apply, then click OK.

4. Restart your computer. The programs you unchecked should not load at startup.

o

be very careful though many of the items you really do not know what they affect so if there is any doubt do not change it.
I recommend a great free program that will help you with that and so much more it is called WinPatrol
WinPatrol
there is a free and a pay version there.

o

When I want to clean my laptop totally & very well, I've been using Jubilee Kitchen Appliance wax on it. Works nicely :)

o

Thanks for the tip mikie. There are fingerprints all over my laptop and I've been wondering what to do about them.

o

zep516 - Thank you for that info! I'll try it and see what I come up with. I appreciate your responding to my question.

nearandwest - Thank you also for responding. I loved the detailed explanation and will be definitely using this method.

ravencajun - Thanks so much for the link and the warning. I'm very cautious when it comes to removing things. If I don't know exactly what it is, I leave it alone. Better to be safe & have a slow computer than to be sorry & without my computer because of something I ignorantly have done. Thanks!

mikie - whatever would I have done with all these fingerprints had you not replied?! haha thanks ;)

o

Mikie, where did you get the Jubilee Kitchen Appliance wax? They quit making it years ago (or at least you can't find it in any of the stores around here). LOL

o

Been under my kitchen sink for eons.
Works, seems dustless. Contains a sanitizer "Ortho-benzyl-para-chlorophenol" & Naphtha.. so its like cleaning your laptop with gasoline & bug killer.... but otherwise it seems exactly like gelcoat/fiberglass boat cleaner/polish I used to use.

o
RE : TOTALLY Cleaning My LapTop

I use it on my $15 wireless ms BlueTrack wireless mouse 3500 too.. which I love... It really seems, fingerprints don't show as easily. This Lenovo is super extra shiny everywhere, exceptions being the palm rests and touch pad.

o

Wish I could find a bottle of Jubilee. I used to use it for so many things and really miss not being able to buy it.

o

Photobucket

o

That really brings back memories. Thanks, guys, and Shax for the picture!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here