SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

hp envy netbook bios reset is fix. why?

chas045
9 years ago

I have an HP ENVY Netbook that was new in January (Xmas). It was loaded with Win 8.1 and got the later update when it came out a couple months ago. It has not given me any trouble other than a general lack of clear understanding of 8.1 compared with XP. I mostly use this computer like a desktop (it just sits there).

I was mostly unaware that the netbook even had a fan. However, ~ two weeks ago I became aware of a louder sound from the computer. Over the next weeks I often felt that the sound was growing louder and louder. I have at least a year warranty and I began thinking that I should do something. I (and the wife independently) also realized that objects resting near the computer were warmer than usual. I checked the heat generated from the vent and found it measured 125 degrees F.

I called the HP tech line in India today and she recommended that we reset the BIOS to default. It wasn't clear to me why this would help, but I did it. I was surprised that upon restarting, the noise was gone, the computer was none the less cool and everything was fine. The rep had suggested that Win 8.1 has so many things running that computers can run hot. She may have only brought this up when I was asking if a 125 degree exhaust was too hot. In any case, if I put my ear to the computer, I can hear the fan, but I can't feel any heat or blowing air.

So: my question is, can anyone explain what might have been set wrong that a BIOS reset would correct? Do you think I could have likely damaged the computer while it was running hotter? I don't even know how to observe internal temps or percentage cpu usage with Win8.

Comments (2)