Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Firefox won't display web graphics (just text) - then BSOD

Posted by lynnalexandra (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 19:08

So I had one problem this morning - and then one of those unexpected shut downs (windows shut down to prevent damage - blue screen of death). I don't know if they were related or not.

Dell Inspiron 530 - running XP, only browse on Firefox and occasionally chrome, run Avast, superantispyware, malwarebyte and spywareblaster fairly regularly. Was Firefox 29 (until updating to 29.01 this afternoon). I had the new FF interface, so I also have Classic Restorer add-on. ((I have that on two other computers as well and it hasn't seemed to cause any problems).

This morning, web pages on firefox did not display properly. It looked like a text version - no graphics or pictures. And functionality was broken. I had some tabs open from last night - and some of them looked alright - others did not. I was looking at a couple of make up sites that were picture-heavy last night - but last night it was fine. This monring, when I went to load gmail, it kept on the loadingpage. It did not look like it was still loading (not circle) - but that it stopped - with my username - but the progress bar did not progress. Then I tried amazon - just saw text. Then tried my on line banking. It gave me fields to enter username and password - but when I clicked login, it said incorrect login information. So all functionality seemed broken.

Chrome works fine on the pc as do other programs. My windows xp laptop at work and my windows 8 laptop at home are just fine with Firefox.

So I ran ccleaner. Then updated and ran antispyware and antivirus again (sequentially - not at once). Avast reported two programs to update - Adobe Air (( think) and Firefox. I updated those. Re-opened firefox. Pages still don't load/display properly. Then I rebooted. Still not loading pages on Firefox. Opened Chrome. Tried to open a few of those make up pages in several tabs - perhaps too quickly. And windows stopped - BSOD.

I got this Stop message with the BSOD:

stop: 0xC0000005,0xBF85FC9E,0xADB9BAE4,0x00000000

win32k.sys - Address BF85FC9E base at BF800000, DateStemp 52F43e77

I restarted the computer - and all programs seem to run fine except for Firefox - which still does not display any graphics. Chrome works fine.

So the main problem is that Firefox isn't displaying graphics on web pages. I also tried disabling a lot of plugins but that didn't fix it.

Thank you.
Lynn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Firefox won't display web graphics (just text) - then BSOD

You can download whocrashed that might show us exactly what caused the blue screen. If you're not getting anymore blue screens since the reboot / restart, then it may not be necessary to download whocrashed, and it was just some sort of glitch.

The error 0xC0000005 is sort of common and is generated by an illegal "memory access violation". This can be caused by anything from faulty RAM, an incorrect/corrupt device driver, or just a glitch and goes away after reboot.

Download WhoCrashed See link below for whocrashed.
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

1 Put a tick in Accept then click on Next.

2 Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next

3 Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon. then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish.
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes

WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it.
Copy and paste it into your next reply.

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads <--Whocrashed link.

Then
I would reinstall Firefox, and see if that fixes the Firefox problem for you.

Firefox from here--> http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

o

Hi Zep,

Here's the information from the Whocrashed report.

System Information (local)
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

computer name: LYNNDELL
windows version: Windows XP Service Pack 3, 5.1, build: 2600
windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: Inspiron 530, Dell Inc., 0FM586
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 2950799360 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2022486016

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Tue 6/10/2014 9:46:41 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini061014-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x5FC9E)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBF85FC9E, 0xFFFFFFFFADB9BAE4, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

Conclusion

One crash dump has been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Connsider using WhoCrashed Professional which offers more detailed analysis using symbol resolution. Also configuring your system to produce a full memory dump may help you.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.
------------------------------------------------------------

I'll try reinstalling Firefox, but I'm doubtful because during the course of today - after my initial Firefox difficulties, I did update from Firefox 29 to Firefox 29.0.1. So I can re-install 29.0.1, but installing it this afternoon did not fix the problem.

I'll check back later. And now I'll reinstall.

Thank you.
Lynn.

o

I'd give Firefox a rest and try using Chrome for awhile. If you experience similar erratic behavior, the problem may be in your hardware or Windows software, neither of which is worth spending much time or money trying to fix.

How old is this PC? How often is it used? Do you have another or can you afford to get a replacement?

o

I just google one page and found others with the same problem after ff update. My first thought when I read this was the update. My research has show It has cause quite a few problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search

o

FireFox has a new version 30.0
It may not be at the normal Mozilla/firefox download site. But it is avail on many software sites.

I would uninstall Firefox before reinstalling it - and as lazy as I am, would also select the setting to let it remove personal settings too, so I didn't need to uninstall the reinstall to fix that if corrupt.

Direct Download link below... about 30mb

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/30.0/win32/en-US/Firefox Setup 30.0.exe

o

I downloaded Firefox maybe a year ago and have never been able to use Google Search or anything Google related. Yet, there is a Google Search Bar at the top of my home page. Go figure. I do have Firefox version 30.0.

This post was edited by donnas on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 13:21

o

Hi Everyone,

Emma - I actually thought to google the problem before posting here, but none of those posts seemed to capture the problem I was having - or at least they did not offer a solution.

Snidely - it isn't my only computer but is my main computer. I cannot afford to replace it now. I'm hoping by year's end. No other programs or browsers are effected. This seems to be something in Firefox.

Mikie - I have follow up questions. If I uninstall Firefox, I don't want to loose settings I've worked hard on. Whether it's saved passwords, customization of toolbars (maybe I could re-do that if I have to), bookmarks (I have xmarks - but sometimes it's wonky - across computers - and much troubleshooting with xmarks led to fewer problems but sometimes still problematic).

So there are two questions. What will I lose (if anything) if I uninstall Firefox first (note that I re-installed twice in the last two days - with FF 29.0.1 both times). happy to try 30.

What happens if I delete personal settings. What do I lose? How do I do it?

Donna - sounds strange you can't use google on Firefox. Not the same as my issue, but odd and frustrating.

Thank you.
Lynn.

o
Adblock Plus is the culprit

After experimenting some more, I looked at adblock plus - and chose to disable ABP on google. And Voila? Gmail displays properly - but it also has those lovely google ads (that appear at the top of the inbox). Did the same for this site - and then amazon. Disabling Adblock Plus allows the page to display. But now I'm getting ads.

I'll look at the reviews for ADP and see if others have this problem. If this is just a corrupt? file, I can uninstall and re-install. If it's just a problem, I sure will miss it, but I need my pages to display.

I'll also see if there are other ad-blocking add-ons for firefox.

Anybody else with this experience? or ideas for alternative ad-blockers?

Thanks.
Lynn.

o

I guess I didn't explain it. Most of those people had the problem after upgrading to the new version of FF. If I were you I would uninstall FF completely and re install version 28 and see if that takes care of the problem.

o

First of all you have over whelmed your PC with wayyyy to many anti whatever's, seems you got everyone available ? it does not know what the heck to do first or last.... and very often search conduit comes along with FF, which is viral in itself, get rid of FF. I will post a link to a great browser, for XP which comes with pop up stopper and ad blocker, and no junk comes with it. Do not use IE since you will no longer receive security updates for it on XP.

Here is a link that might be useful: slimbrowser

o

Aputernut, I am assuming it can be tried with FF still on the puter? Sounds interesting and I need something to do, I will check it out. LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here