SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Firefox won't display web graphics (just text) - then BSOD

lynnalexandra
9 years ago

So I had one problem this morning - and then one of those unexpected shut downs (windows shut down to prevent damage - blue screen of death). I don't know if they were related or not.

Dell Inspiron 530 - running XP, only browse on Firefox and occasionally chrome, run Avast, superantispyware, malwarebyte and spywareblaster fairly regularly. Was Firefox 29 (until updating to 29.01 this afternoon). I had the new FF interface, so I also have Classic Restorer add-on. ((I have that on two other computers as well and it hasn't seemed to cause any problems).

This morning, web pages on firefox did not display properly. It looked like a text version - no graphics or pictures. And functionality was broken. I had some tabs open from last night - and some of them looked alright - others did not. I was looking at a couple of make up sites that were picture-heavy last night - but last night it was fine. This monring, when I went to load gmail, it kept on the loadingpage. It did not look like it was still loading (not circle) - but that it stopped - with my username - but the progress bar did not progress. Then I tried amazon - just saw text. Then tried my on line banking. It gave me fields to enter username and password - but when I clicked login, it said incorrect login information. So all functionality seemed broken.

Chrome works fine on the pc as do other programs. My windows xp laptop at work and my windows 8 laptop at home are just fine with Firefox.

So I ran ccleaner. Then updated and ran antispyware and antivirus again (sequentially - not at once). Avast reported two programs to update - Adobe Air (( think) and Firefox. I updated those. Re-opened firefox. Pages still don't load/display properly. Then I rebooted. Still not loading pages on Firefox. Opened Chrome. Tried to open a few of those make up pages in several tabs - perhaps too quickly. And windows stopped - BSOD.

I got this Stop message with the BSOD:

stop: 0xC0000005,0xBF85FC9E,0xADB9BAE4,0x00000000

win32k.sys - Address BF85FC9E base at BF800000, DateStemp 52F43e77

I restarted the computer - and all programs seem to run fine except for Firefox - which still does not display any graphics. Chrome works fine.

So the main problem is that Firefox isn't displaying graphics on web pages. I also tried disabling a lot of plugins but that didn't fix it.

Thank you.
Lynn

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!