SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esteban_2009

Error #0x80004005

esteban_2009
11 years ago

Hi Folks,

Yup, it's me again with a computer/OS/SBC problem that is causing mental problems.

Quick update on the machine and server. X-P SP3, Outlook Express and SBCGlobal.net. I have been getting the 0x80004005 error message off and on for the past three months. I call the hot line and wait a lifetime for an agent to help me. They all say SBC does not support Outlook Express. I explain I had OE when I signed up for their service, why do they not support it now? None of the agents have answered that to my satisfaction, however, for a few bucks per month (I can't remember the exact amount) I can subscribe to their service to get help for OE. That sounded like blackmail to me. They have always helped me get my mail program working, only for a day or two. The past few days I have been researching this issue with the help of Google, many folks seem to think this error is a problem with the server.

Have any of you had this problem? If so, how did you rectify it?

Once again, thanks for the great help.

Steve

Comments (10)

• cat_ky
    11 years ago

Microsoft seems to think this problem is most common if you are using Norton Anti virus. In any case, here is a microsoft link. Maybe something there will help you. Good Luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Microsoft

• esteban_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Cat,
    Thanks for the post and link. I should have stated in my original post I use AVG (free version).
    Steve

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

Where or when do you get that error ? Seems same error number shows for many things but....

First page on a search.. Microsoft:
    Error code 0x80004005
    This problem may occur if a file that the Windows Product Activation (WPA) requires is damaged or missing. This behavior occurs if one or both of the following conditions are true: �A third-party backup utility or an antivirus program interferes with the installation of Windows XP.
    �A file that WPA requires is manually modified.

There's a whole bunch of supposedly fixes.. one is... eHow says turn off System Restore, reboot.. then turn system restore back on.

Does this error have a popup message when you're checking email ?? or when/where do you see it.

• esteban_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mikie,
    Yes, I get a pop-up message when I try to send and receive e-mail.
    I didn't try the System restore trick. I'll give it a try next time this happens.
    Thanks for your help.
    Steve

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

I would not try turning off system restore if you do that you will wipe out all the restore points on the pc, then should you need to use one you are out of luck. Unless that is an absolute for sure fix I wouldn't go through that.

Have you considered moving to another email client, outlook express is so old and outdated, there's other options.

I sure would not pay any extra to your isp for additional help, that's ridiculous and I doubt they would fix anything, they would tell you to go with a newer supported email.
    Why don't you just use the email provided by the isp online?

• esteban_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

RC, thanks for the response.
    You said "Outlook Express is so old and outdated" that describes me to a "T". The reason I use Outlook Express is that's the only mail program I have used since purchasing my first computer many years ago. I can do a pretty good job of writing letters and even forwarding attatchments when needed. I question my ability to learn another progam.
    When you mentioned using the email provided by my isp, would that be SBC/Yahoo? If not, what one would you recommend.
    Steve

• esteban_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

RC, I just imported my address book to Yahoo mail, and sent a few test messages. So far, so good, except I can't determine how to send a BCC. Does Yahoo not have that option?
    Steve

• bob414
    11 years ago

It would be SBC/Yahoo. Go to this page and put in your username and password and you will be signed in to that account and can check out if you want to use it. You can try it out and go back to OE if you don't like it. Or you can try something like thunderbird which is easy to configure and see if you like it.

• bob414
    11 years ago

I see you had already tried it while I was typing. I could never manage to send email bcc from there. That's why I started using Thunderbird. I send a newsletter to a group of people and do not want all their email addresses showing up. With Thunderbird I send it to a mailing list bcc. Try it, it's easy to configure. It will ask for your email address and password and find all the other information it needs.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

yes for some reason they all want to hide the Bcc options and I really have no idea why because that is the way to send multiple emails properly so addresses are not displayed for everyone.

this article will help you out a lot it has a lot of yahoo shortcuts and one is how to toggle off and on BCC.
    Yahoo! Mail

I just went to my yahoo to check how it is done, when you choose to compose a new email along the very top above the TO: line there is a tiny little blue line that says show BCC click that and voila you now have a BCC line. You have to really look for those things.

another way is click on the TO: itself that will open your contacts before each name is a box you can tick for those options and there is the BCC option also.

Making this change now even though it is leaning something new is good because if you get a new pc with 7 or above you no longer have the option of using OE so you are ahead of the game. And you can check your email from anywhere on any pc which is good if you are away from home.