Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Want to over write Windows 98Se

Posted by bunky_mi (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 16:05

I picked up a older Compaq prosignia, with windows 98 Second Edition, I know this is old but I needed an older Computer to run my Vinyl Cutter, Anyways I would like to restore the Laptop to Original settings and restore windows 98SE, but I was reading and it wants me to back up everything, Is there a way around this ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Want to over write Windows 98Se

First and foremost is getting the needed drivers before you begin. you'll need sound, LAN, motherboard, video. Try the HP site first perhaps, you might get lucky.
Here is a selection of free tools to save the existing drivers. However you may want to Goggle for 98SE and your particular model laptop.

When you insert your CD (is it a CD or floppies?) and restart the computer aren't you given options? One of which is the opportunity to format the hard drive. Be SURE you have recovered any data as this wipes the drive clean ready for a new install.

o

I haven't tried the CD yet, I wanted to be sure of what to do first,

I will check the HP site and check for the drivers needed

Thanks

o

I haven't tried the CD yet, I wanted to be sure of what to do first,

I will check the HP site and check for the drivers needed

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here