Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newbie looking at laptops

Posted by nelles (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 5, 11 at 15:58

OK, I'm hoping someone can help me.

I'm pretty much decided on getting a laptop vs an iPad. I want to be able to load a bridge game off a disc, so I think a laptop is the way to go.

I haven't a clue where to start. I'll be using the laptop as an addition to our desktop. Portability isn't too much of a concern - I'd probably bring it on trips/cruises, but we haven't done too much travelling lately.

I'd like to be able to watch movie dvds. One site recommended 2-4 GB of RAM, 250BG or higher of ?, 14"-16" display, & a DVD optical burner drive - whatever THAT is.

Consumer reports likes Apple, but those are out. Toshiba, HP, Lenovo (IBM), and Dell rate high. So does Acer, but they get rally bad customer support ratings.

Someone told me that if I go with Dell, to buy it on-line from Dell, as it's better quality than Dells in the big box stores. Friends also have had good luck with HP.

TIA,
Ellen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newbie looking at laptops

Since you reference Consumers Reports, if you have these gathering dust somewhere:

Issue December 2010 Pages 32-34, 37 and 38

Issue January 2011 Page 24

Issue June 2011 Page 34-40

I don't own one as other than the available potability I don't find them desirable. However, my readings have led me to conclude that I would by a Toshiba if I were buying one.

DA

o

Thanks, DA:

I looked at those issues, and I have to agree: Toshiba like like the way to do.

FWIW, I meant to include in my first post that I'm not into gaming, video editing, etc. I'm just a 61 yo retired lady who likes to read email, look at youtube once in a while, and play mexican train on line.

o

You might want to check out internet connectivity on cruise ships with regard to cost. I forget the fees on the Princess line but it was horrendous and the connections via satellite left much to be desired. The Costa line was more reasonable but again the connection was dubious frequently

Here is a link that might be useful: Staying Connected an Ocean Away

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here