Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I cleaned my mouse while I was online & now my cursor is frozen..

Posted by joyjoy45 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 3, 11 at 15:17

I cleaned lint from the grooves (cracks, really)in the top of my mouse with a toothpick and suddenly realized that my cursor was frozen. My mouse didn't seem to be communicating with my computer at all. When I left the computer for a while & the screen went dark, I would move my mouse to revive it... but it didn't.

I turned the computer off by holding down the power button, but the cursor was still frozen after I turned it back on.

I bought a new mouse & it doesn't communicate with my computer, either.

What have I done & how can I fix it???

Thanks in advance...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I cleaned my mouse while I was online & now my cursor is froz

Is it wireless...could you have accidentally turned it off? Could batteries need replacing?

o

No, it's not wireless. It has the red light on its base and not the ball, but it does plug in. I plugged it into the same port as the old one was in.

o

I'm sure someone with more expertise than I will jump in. Does the manufacturer have a "help" forum or FAQ site? I'm sorry I'm not much help.

o

try another usb port

o

Your cleaning may have damaged the mouse or caused some lint to get jammed inside. How vigorously were you using that toothpick?

o

The fact that the new mouse also fails to work is disturbing. Try clicking Start, then Control panel and the mouse control and set the mouse pointers up from there. Is the new mouse a recognised brand? Perhaps use the CD that came with the mouse to set up too.

o

you could try a system restore to the day before that happened it may reset your settings is something got messed up. quick and easy to do. I would give you directions but you did not tell us which version of windows it is

o

Thanks to each of you for responding! I had a computer tech come to my house & he said that the new mouse I bought did need some software installation (altho the box said it did not). He did that for me & I was right back in business. He also went through my installations & deleted some old & unnecessary ones & my computer is faster now. $37.50 & worth every penny to me! Thnx again...

o

For a home visit by a techie that is very good. Glad you have everything sorted out now. Happy mousing ;~)

o

Yes, for "in home" service that is a great price! Send me your tech's names and address. :-)

o

Glad you got your situation setteled. BUT...your title is just TOO funny...if you are thinking along another line...!:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here