Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unable to sign in to my Hotmail

Posted by sherwood38 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 15:11

Yesterday a.m. for the 1st time Hotmail would not let me sign in. I went to my husband's computer & had no problem signing in and viewing my Hotmail.
This is continuing again today-out of the blue, I have no idea why. In RED it says "unable to access from this site."
I have an HP desktop XP-I.E and Norton for Security.
Nothing has changed, I have added nothing, no new programs etc.

I have no problem getting on line or into any other web sites. I have refreshed, rebooted, and can't think of anything else to ck.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!
Thanks, Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unable to sign in to my Hotmail

Reset the router by UN-Plugging it for a min or so.

Joe

o

This might be the cause.

At times because of user traffic volume Hotmail will delay and perhaps even time out. When it does this a cookie may be omitted, over ruled, or even deleted. On your browser clear your cache and retry.

Fingers crossed.

DA

o

Thank you both for your suggetions.

Unplugging didn't change anything-I did it twice & left it off longer the 2nd time.

I had already cleared my browser yeterday when uit 1st happened, but just did it again. Then I rebooted my computer-nada!

It is still telling me - "Windows Live Network is unavailable from this site"....

Not sure what next?
Pat

o

What if you Google Windows Live Network is unavailable from this site

o

Have you tried another browser to see if it works.
Try that so we can rule that out.
When you cleared cache did you also clear cookies, history and all the options and did you select the time period of everything, try that.

o

I did Google Windows Live and I signed in using my usual Hotmail address & password. It let me in but was strange looking-all blue & listed on the left side, not the usual appearance. I clicked out & back to MSN & clicked on Hotmail again-and it let me in. I have tried it again a couple more times and so far-so good.
I have no idea what-or why, but I hope whatever it was is fixed-although I have no idea how!
Thanks again .

Re using a different browser-I have only ever used Microsoft and have no idea how to use any other. I feel lucky to just get by as it is as I am not very computer savvy.

Pat

o

Pat,

Browsers are about 80% the same. It is the 20% that makes them unique. Don't be afraid to experiment as they do not conflict. Just when installing decline the offer to make them the default browser. That way your IE will always be your mainstay and comfort zone.
DA

o

You definitely should have at least one other browser in case I E fails. We will gladly help you with instructions on how to get and install one, it is extremely easy.

o

Thanks again!
I am still able to get into my email.
I do have an alternate email address but only use that one for personal friends & family, so everything else dumps into Hotmail.

I have heard a lot of people use Firefox, but as I said "I know nothing" lol.....I always hesitate to make any changes-you know - "if it ain't broke".....

Pat

o

This isn't fixing something. At least one additional browser is just a plain smart thing to do for any user.

DA

o

My reply to that is, yes but when it does break you can't get here to get help because you never installed a second browser to use.

o

Ok-I know you are both correct!
So which one to get & how to do it?

I really do appreciate all the help.

Pat

o

I personally use firefox you simply go here(link is at bottom in instructions) and hit the download button to download it to your pc,in the dialog box you can just click run from there or if you saved it to your pc go to it and double click to install, during install/setup it will ask you if you want to import your settings and favorites from IE say yes to all that way it will set it up exactly as you have your IE, it will ask if you want to set it as your default you can say no to that, that leaves IE as your main default browser, that can be changed at any time easily.
Once it has installed you will open firefox it will open to the firefox website to let you know it has properly installed, it will only do this the first time, after that when you open it you will go to what ever you had as your home page on IE since it transferred that info over. It will not change anything at all on your IE.

That is it, you are done, when you want to use it just click on the firefox icon on your desktop, you can use it along side IE with no problems. There are some very good add ons for firefox the one I recommend first is the ad block plus with easylist which will stop all the ads you see when visiting websites.

here are the instructions with pictures
Install Firefox on Windows

o

Thank you for your help-I just installed Firefox.
You have been very patient with me & I appreciate it very much.

Pat

o

happy to help, if you want to add the adblock plus and easylist that is super easy to do also just using firefox go to the add ons page for it here
Adblock Plus 2.0.3
click on add to firefox it will pop up a box go ahead and choose to install it then it will want to restart firefox do that. Then go to this page and click on add easylist to adblock plus.
Add EasyList to Adblock Plus
that is it then it will block the various ads you have been seeing. All perfectly safe and all free.

o

Good for you Pat. Betcha it didn't hurt a bit. :)

Do consider RC's recommendations as described above. They are needed.

As to other add-ons, why not wait a while until you get your feet firmly under you. There are very rare occasions when add-ons will cause a concern and I don't want you to develop a needless worry or a bad taste towards FF. When your ready research the Mozilla site for add-ons and then if you have questions this is the place to come. Remember add-ons are not permanent and can easily be removed.

Good Luck! Enjoy!

DA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here