Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are your thoughts on Panda Antivirus?

Posted by evenshade (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 12 at 15:09

I had problems with my laptop last night and called CenturyLink where I have subscribed to their service called RescueIT. They got me fixed up in a couple of hours. They uninstalled Avast and installed a free version of a security program called Panda that (from what I understand) stores the program's "heavy lifting" in the Cloud therefore not using as many resources on the local machine. I had never heard of that program, but I see that CNET gives it very good reviews.

I have MSE on my PC...in your opinion should I leave well enough alone. :)
Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are your thoughts on Panda Antivirus?

But using more than one real-time antivirus uses much more system resources, can cause conflicts and even reduce protection. So I recommend you only choose one antivirus for real-time protection.

o

I think she means she has the panda on the laptop and MSE on a different pc.

I would want to know why they decided to remove AVAST which is an excellent program. I personally would prefer to have AVAST ,which is what I use, or MSE over Panda.

My other question is how did they remove AVAST because if they did not use a dedicated removal tool and just used add remove programs you will have a lot of left over AVAST items in your pc which can cause conflicts.

try doing a search through your pc for anything with AVAST in it see what turns up.

Here you can find various dedicated removal tools
Antivirus removal tools

or use appremover
How do I use AppRemover?

o

You're right ravencajun, I stand corrected, and love your advice as well!

o

Panda is as good as any other anti virus software out there. They have been around probably as long as anyone has and I would suggest their track record is as impressive as the best of them.

Now that you have signed with Century for the service you may as well stay there. The contract is for a year with a $50 opt out clause should you wish to withdraw before the year is up.

Nothing wrong with Avast, MSE or any of the other recognised names in the safety business.

o

Thank you all. It was one of those deals where they access your computer remotely and "go to town". < s > I did watch most of it...scans, etc....but didn't get to see how they uninstalled Avast. I wish I had.

I did do a search, ravencajun, as you recommended. The result was that no matches were found so I guess they did remove everything. That's good news.

I agree owbist. I renewed my subscription because it's less expensive to have them take care of the problem and pay the opt out fee than it is to take it in to a local repaie place. And it takes much less time.

Thank you for your views, everyone. I feel all right with Panda now. I will keep MSE on my PC.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here