Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Website help

Posted by acraftylady (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 15:07

I plan on contacting Verizon to see what happened but I thought someone here might know something. The Verizon wireless forums for cell phone help cannot be accessed for a week now with any browser but the error message is so weird.

Says about jive end of life support for internet explorer 6 and shows different browsers to download. I have a feeling it's not just me and I run windows 7 and IE 10. I tried down for me and it says no such website so will be curious to see what's going on as a lot of people use that site for help form other Verizon cell users. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: verizon support forums

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Website help

• Posted by mikie z9 St.Pete.FL (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 16:14

you are giving a link to the error page and not the forum link. https://community.verizonwireless.com/unsupported-browser.jspa

In order to provide the best platform for continued innovation, Jive no longer supports Internet Explorer 6.

Jive will not function with this version of Internet Explorer. Please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, 8, or 9, or trying another browser such as Firefox, Safari, or Google Chrome.

(Please remember to honor your company's IT policies before installing new software!)
Upgrade Internet Explorer
Download Firefox
Download Safari
Download Google Chrome

forums seem to work ok for me

Here is a link that might be useful: https://community.verizonwireless.com/

This post was edited by mikie on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 16:16

o

That's the booked marked link I have used for 2yrs and now when I click it that's what I get. When I go to verizonwireless.com and under support try and get to the forums I get the same thing. Been a week now so maybe they are re-doing the support forums. Mary

o

Oh geesh thanks. They must have moved the forums or something because for 2yrs I clicked the link I posted and it took me right to the forums. On my phone now and your link went right too them. Mary

o

Ok when I go to your link on my computer I get same error in IE and firefox but when I go to it on my android phone I get in and it's the mobile version I am used to seeing on my phone.

I sent your link to my other email from my phone and access it from the computer and when I click it on the computer I get it but it's the mobile version and not the computer version the way the site should look on a PC. I am totally confused on what's going on. I can now post though and ask the mods there so thanks. Mary

This post was edited by acraftylady on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 16:55

o

Well all of a sudden today the link I have used for 2yrs is working right and this is what the page should look like. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: verizon forums

o

Well today the website came back to normal with the link I have always used in my bookmarks. This is what the page is supposed to look like. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: forums

o

Did you by chance clear your history and such? If so, that could explain the sudden recovery of the link. Pages that have timed out can block access to sites. Stored expired cookies can do the same thing.

It is unusual for homepage links to become dormant. However, secondary and ancillary links can change and access has to be reestablished via the homepage.

DA

o

Not manually. I have it set on both computers to delete every 30 days and don't touch it and it was not 30 days yet. I also had a friend try the link from her house and it was doing the same so it must have been something funky with the site for a week concerning the computer as I realized on my phone the mobile site worked. Mary

o

Ok now this is weird. When I posted it was working I was on the desktop. Got up on the laptop and the link is showing the same error so what the heck?

Both computers got a lot of MS updates recently but this was going on before that. Running windows 7 on both computers. I did install the IE10 update on both computers in the last week or less but honestly I can't remember if this error for the site started then or not but I am pretty sure I was on the site using both computers after the 10 install.

So the link works fine on the desktop and still gives that error on the laptop. Will reboot the router later and see if that matters. Mary

o

Yowee, 8 posts about a bookmark to a web page?

That page is just one level down from the top and is clearly shown on a dropdown under Support, on the top level menu on Verizonwireless's home page.

You're chasing a ghost. It's easily accessible, maybe not the way you've been doing it but who cares why and so what? Be happy the page you like is there and forget about the mystery you thought you've found.

o

Yes it works fine on the desktop now but it gives the error on the laptop. Bother were giving that error page for a week.

Even if I go to the main Verizon wireless page and go to support and get to the forums that way laptop still has that jive error, why? All links to it work fine on the desktop and mobile site on my pone and tablet were working all along but I didn't know that until the other day.

Laptop and desktop are windows 7 and IE10 with all updates so something must have happened a week ago and desktop kicked back in and laptop didn't is all I can figure. Mary

o

Mary,
Just delete the browser cache. Don't wait for your 30 day automatic deletion. Just delete the blasted cache and be done with it.

I agree with Snidely on this. Way too many posts for a simple and easily resolved issue.

If you really want to know the 'why' of it, call Verizon and ask. We are certainly not Verizon support and don't know why you are experiencing the error, we have only been able to offer suggestions to stop the error. That's what techs do.

This post was edited by pkponder on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 22:25

o

No I want the history to stay there for 30 days because there have been times I needed to go back and look at something I may have forgotten to bookmark so I need it at 30 days, old age setting in ya know. My temp internet files delete every time I close the browser. Mary

o

Ok checked my history and nothing there I needed so deleted it and still the page loads to that jive message but only on the laptop now. Even when I go to verizonwireless.com and click support then click forums. Mary

o

Use a different browser

o

I found this message on the Verizon forum: ( a Google search turned up many forums and websites reporting this issue with IE10)

IE10 and the Jive platform used by this community doesn't play well together.

I would suggest clearing the temp files and cookies for Chrome or Firefox and try logging in again using one of those two browsers. I use Chrome Firefox and sometimes IE9 and I get to the community without any errors.

o

Ok thanks. Must be something different on the desktop that kicked in but not on the laptop. All other sites I visit regularly are fine with 10 so won't worry about it. Mary

o

Ok found this post about my problem and they said that what ever is posted at the fiddlertool site fixed it for them but when I go to the link get a 404 error that it's gone. Does anyone know what the fix was? I gather there is something incompatible on the laptop now that the site does not like, doesn't matter what browser I use either but desktop can access it fine still. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: Forum post

o

Well I found this same error posted for another site people were having trouble with and this was suggested but it didn't work for me. Mary

Internet Explorer 10 is not compatible with the version of Jive (the software that runs the community) currently in use. In Internet Explorer 10 hit F12, then set Browser Mode and Document Mode to IE9.

o

The instruction should have read, press ALT and F12. See the details below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Run IE 10 in compatability mode

o

When I just press F12 on both computers I get the same screen popping up at the bottom as when I press alt with the F12 and have the settings they say. Off to boot up the laptop and read that link. Mary

o

Unless you're on Microsoft's IE debug/testing/compatibility team, you've run down the wrong rat hole and are chasing the wrong target. I thought what you were trying to do was access a particular website?

If so, use a different browser.

o

I am. I googled and came up with that forum that was having the same trouble and the suggestion was to press F12 and change those settings, it worked for that particular forum and since it was the same error message screen coming up for me on the verizon forums I tried that but it didn't work for me.

I googled and found a Verizon post from April where a few people were complaining about this and I was able to access the post on the desktop and no one had a clue what to do but I posted there to see if anyone figured anything out.

Sorry if I am causing trouble but I would just like to be able to access the Verizon forums from the laptop the way I have been doing for years.

Since I have their cells and service I help out there with the basic phone questions and stuff. Mary

o

I'd like to gently remind you that you have not been using Internet Explorer 10 for years, it's only been out of beta testing (experimental mode) for a short period of time and many websites are not compatible yet. Webpages are built to function with specific browsers and if it does not work in Internet Explorer 10, you will either have to use another browser as previously suggested or uninstall Internet Explorer 10 which should return you to to Internet Explorer 9.

Why all the stubbornness about using another browser?. If you are helping out on the forum, someone from Verizon should be able to take remote access of the computer and set compatibility mode.

o

Well IE10 is working fine on the desktop with the verizon forums just not on the laptop now. I don't know what kicked it in on the desktop a few days ago to make it work and I would like to find out to get it working on the laptop. I meant I have been going on the verizon forums for years with never an issue until a few weeks ago, I never said I used IE10 for years.

I reverted back to 9 for now until I can gather more info on fixing it for the laptop. Strange thing is it was not just IE it was firefox too giving the same error screen and now that I reverted back to IE9 firefox will let me into the site too so I don't get what is going on. Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here