SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue_va_gw

Hijacker Trovi

Sue_va
9 years ago

I seem to have the hijacker Trovi. I googled for info on getting rid of it, but I would rather hear what the helpers here have to say about it before I possibly make things worse.

TIA

Sue

Comments (8)

• DA_Mccoy
    9 years ago

Sue,

The below site was reached via a Microsoft post. The site itself I recognized it as a reference given by a member on another thread. I think it was O or Z. All the free software cited is commonly recognized.

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: malwaretips.com

• Sue_va
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DA, I followed the link. There is a lot to read there, which I will attempt to do later today. Also try to find O's and Z's info.

Thanks.

Sue

• emma
    9 years ago

Sue The first removal tool listed in that thread was adwcleaner. There is a link in it to download it. That is what I used to removed my browser hacker. It is simple to use and worked like a charm. It is a one time use thing that does not run on your PC all the time. Malwarebyte's found my hacker Adware cleaner removed it.

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

Sue,

Sorry for the trouble you're having, I think you've gotten good direction towards fixing the situation.

If this happened while had an antivirus program active, you should perhaps change what you're using but also share with the group which product failed to offer adequate protection.

Good luck

• emma
    9 years ago

I am not Sue, but my Avast was working when I got my browser hacker and I am going to keep using it. Nothing is perfect, nothing can protect your PC 100%. You just pick one recommended in here, one you are comfortable with and be careful where you go. I got mine because I was mad at FF for messing with my tool bars in their new version and in a rush to revert back to V 28. I went to an unknown site to download my old version of FF. That was stupid of me, but we learn by making mistakes. I did learn something from all of that. I couldn't install the previous version unless I completely uninstalled everything FF on your computer.

• DA_Mccoy
    9 years ago

Sue,

The original thread I referred to was some time ago. You might have to wait for the author of the post to assist.

DA

• zep516
    9 years ago

Hi sue,

You should only need to run 2 tools,

Adwcleaner, & Junk removal tool. Then follow up with a Malwarebytes scan.

If you could post the log report from AdwCleaner that would be helpful. Do the SCAN then the clean option, If by chance you use Avira Anti Virus you will need to disable ask detection, that is explained at the link.

Hi sue,

Up date @ 8:13 pm. I'll be working on the same problem here, you may follow along,

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/339709-trovi-has-highjacked-browser/

Here is a link that might be useful: adwcleaner

This post was edited by zep516 on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 20:14

• Sue_va
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually this was not as difficult as I thought it would be. I read most of the material in DA's link then ran Malwarebytes where I found a big litter of PUPS, which I removed. Also uninstalled several questionable programs which I don't remember the names of now. (Short term memory.)

As of now things seem to be fine, but of course this is a Computer, so we will see.

Thanks to each and every one of you.

Sue