Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get music from CD to my computer

Posted by loralee (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 14:51

Now I really miss my Music Match Jutebox that I have used for 20 years.

I have Windows 7.

I need to redo some of my CDs that I have made. I don't understand how to get the music from the CD my music folder on the computer.

Windows Media player plays my CDs.

I use Nero to burn my CDs.

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get music from CD to my computer

I just put the cd in the slot, open it up, don't let it play, then open the folder you want them to go to...copy and paste them there. I use Itunes which will do it for me, but I like to do it myself so I can edit out songs I do not like.

o

I will try this now, This is why I like to use a music software so That I can edit the songs.

o

I appear to be in over my head.

I stop the cd from playing by exciting out of the music screen that popup when the music started to play. Then I copied the music file from the CD and pasted in my music library folder. The music I just put in a folder does not play. I do not know if it actually copied it or just put the music icon in the folder that I made.

I have never used Windows Media player before. This is the software that will play the songs. The music I have had on my computer for years play when I click on the other older music.

Any suggestions? I do not know any one who knows much about doing anything with computers other than going on line to use e-mail.

This post was edited by loralee on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 16:04

o

I haven't used WMP in years and I don't use libraries. I just copy it to a folder with the name of the singer and then add it to my music folder. I can even play it from the folder before I put it in Itunes, so don't know what is wrong.

o

Emma, could you tell me the steps you are doing when you put the cd in the drive.
The only thing I can think of is that the music did not actually copy from my CD and perhaps I missed a step in copying and pasting?

I did check the properties on each song and they are only about 44 kilobites. When I check the properties on a song that would play that was already on the computer they are listed in MB much, much larger than the one I copied today from the CD.

This post was edited by loralee on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 18:46

o

I just put it in and sometimes it brings up a menu, I opt for open. I highlight all the songs, right click for copy, then past them in a folder not into the software that plays the music. My itunes is set to be my default music player so that is probably why it plays when I click on the music in my folders. I think Itunes is much easier to use than WMP. I installed it for my Ipod and am very glad I did. I put the music in folders to be sure I can back them up easily and for burning CD's easily. Others may have other suggestions, there are always more than one way to do it.

The small photo in the middle is for opening the music CD. The big photo on the left is the songs on the CD. The last is the folder I will put them in. Later I put that folder in Itunes.

Which ever music player you use you probably need to have it set to your default or right click (I think) to choose a song then choose which player you want.

o

I appreciate the time you took to make the desk shot view. This is what I had been doing and I tried it again. The songs will play as long as I have it in the computer when I click on each song that I copied into the folder. But once I take the CD out the songs don't play.

Is there a download link for I tunes or does this come with your cell phone? Or at the I tunes store?

o

Here is the Itunes download site, but it is for 64 bit because that is what I have. If yours is 32, you need to google Itunes for yourself and it may come up with what you need. If you decide to do this and need any help later just ask. It has a mini player icon that goes on your task bar. That was a problem for me when they upgraded, but I figured how to turn it on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Itunes 64

o

When you put your CD into the computer and start to play with WMP, do you see a button on top that says rip? That's all I do. Then when I want to listen it's right there in my WMP.

o

Thank you Cheryl and Emma. I may just go with the Itunes. I do have 32 and did find a link for it.

Cheryl, I do see burn at the top, but I don't want to copy the CD. I just want to upload the music to my computer. It is a CD that I made a long time ago and need to make some adjustments to the song arrangements.

It will be a day or two before I have time to play with this computer again. I will let you know Emma if I need help with the Itunes. Thanks.

o

Good Luck loralee, I think you will find Itunes easier. I will be glad to help if you need it and if I can. I am working with a very old memory and that is my memory, not the PC's. LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here