Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
battery longivity

Posted by upnflyin (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 14:43

Does it do any good to take the battery out of my new HP laptop because it is plugged in and running 24/7.
My old toshiba had the batt in it all the time and it wouldn't hold much of a charge after a couple of years.
I just want to know if its worth the trouble of removing it and storing it on the shelf.
upnflyin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: battery longivity

fwiw.. just bought Lenovo.. it has battery life longevity/conservation for laptops used mostly on a/c adapters... holds it at just under 50% charge always.

Maybe at half charge, sit it on shelf ? I know you're not supposed to let them go way low on the charge.

o
RE: battery longivity

You shouldn't charge your laptop constantly. If you only occasionally take your laptop away from a power outlet, but leave it plugged in to charge 24/7, you're leaving your laptop in a state of perpetual charge at the 100% point and that is bad for the battery's long-time health.

As mikie suggests, you might want to physically remove the laptop battery if you're using the laptop at your desk for long stretches of time. If you do remove it, don't store it in a fully charged or depleted state. It's best to store it in the middle -- between 40 and 50 percent of full charge.

I've read it is best to store in a cool dark place (such as a drawer) and wrapped in a clothe.

I do keep my battery plugged in all the time when I am at my desk but I do unplug the adapter till the charge is at about 50% then plug the adapter back in.

It's not good to allow the battery to go completely dead either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here