Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Friend Can't Read Disk

Posted by suzieque (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 13, 11 at 14:31

Hi all -

I made a disk (CD-R) of pictures (jpg) for a friend, but his computer won't read it. When he inserts it, nothing pops up - so I told him to click "Computer", then the drive for the DVD. He said that, when he does that, it instructs him to insert a disk (it's already there).

I had another friend try it with a disk that I made in the same way; no problem. So it seems that I've identified that it is on the first friend's end, not something I did wrong in burning the disk.

We're both using PCs. Can you think of any steps he can take to read the disk, or what the issue(s) may be?

Thanks -

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Friend Can't Read Disk

has he tried to put other discs in to see if it is only that disc or is it his drive that has a problem?

o

Is it possible the disc was put in upside down if there are no markings on the disc? Not suggesting your friend is stupid but these things do happen and it is an easy mistake to make.

o

Thanks for your replies.

Revencajun, I believe, but am not positive, that he has no trouble with other disks. I will verify.

Owbist, not an insult at all; in fact, I emailed him today asking the same question :-). No answer yet. The disk is quite obvious as to the "top", but one never knows.

Thanks!

o

I'm back. No trouble with other discs. And the disc is put in the correct way.

Any other thoughts?

o

Is there another computer he can try the disk on..its possible that particular disk wasnt finished correctly or somesuch

o

I tried it myself on another computer, genes, and it worked fine.

o

Sometimes drives are finicky about the formats used to create the files it tries to read, and they get worse as they age. (sort-of like people :-) )

If this is a CD-R (not +R), see if another CD-R disk can be read by his computer. It's not alweays enough to say it can read other discs if we don't know how the others were formatted.

o
RE: Friend Can't Read Disk--

If all else fails, copy them to a thumb drive and take the CD out of the equation.

o

Thank you, sofaspud (love your name!). I'll have him check the disc type (checking another CD-R specifically), and then try sending him a thumb drive if he still has trouble. Good ideas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here