Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AVG popup keeps reminding me to update

Posted by terrapots (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 12 at 13:58

I updated AVG 2012 from the quickstart icon after I got a popup that I needed to update. I also ran a full scan. However, I still keep getting the popup telling me to update. What could be going on? I am running desktop HP Media Center, XP with the last SP (I think 3) and MBAM about once a week. I don't trust updating anything from the popups; I think I'm paranoid.

Another question, is there a way to keep my user name logged in or am I deleting it every time I run a scan?

And, thanks, whoever got rid of the Netflix that screamed at me whenever I exited some of the forums.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AVG popup keeps reminding me to update

It's perfectly safe to update from the pop up. Try it, that may end the problem.

IF you mean that every time you visit the GardenWeb you have to login, next time you login scroll down a bit and you'll see the little box that you need the place a check in that will save your credentials so you don't have to keep typing it in every time you visit. If you use Ccleaner or something similar it may clear out your user name and password but all you'll have to do is place a check in that box again to be remembered.

o

did you reboot the pc after you did the update? if not try that to see if maybe the update has not yet registered in the program yet.

I hope this is not going to be another AVG disaster.

I really am starting to hate AVG lately they are not making good decisions with their product.

o

I'm half sure I rebooted, but maybe I just hibernated it. I'll turn it off to see if that does it. BBluz, I always check the little box below but it doesn't stay checked. It's not that big a deal but wonder why other sites keep my ID and GW doesn't. Funny, considering there's nothing I've entered here that's that confidential!

o

We have a similar problem with my husbands laptop. Updated AVG and he keeps getting a popup to 'reboot to finish install'. He's rebooted a hundred times and it won't go away.

I'm tempted to just uninstall it and use another AV, although he hasn't had any problems before with AVG. He also has XP.

Might have to uninstall and reinstall to see if it stops. I'm going to try that first.

Jane

o

CCleaner has an option to save your cookies for places like garden web. Click on options, then cookies and you can move the garden web cookie to the right hand side and it will be saved when you clean your cookies. I check the box on this site and it didn't save if I cleaned out my cookies.

o

OK, I restarted the computer and no popup came up. Let's see if it stays down. Thanks for the trick.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here