Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ubuntu trying to update the drivers for cd rom

Posted by kaijutokusatsu (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 13:47

Hi again!
I'm having quite a time trying to make a bootable cd. Come to find out my cd drive will not write. I downloaded a zip file to update the drive but now I can't seem to install it where it needs to go. In terminal I type 'sudo apt-get install cdrom.inf' which is what the file is named.
It responds 'E: Unable to locate package cdrom.inf
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'cdrom.inf'
Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ubuntu trying to update the drivers for cd rom

I don't have an answer but would like to ask a couple questions.

(1) You say the cd drive will not write. Will it read?

(2) If it neither reads nor writes, is the kernel detecting the drive?

Use the dmesg command on this page. (Sorry, this forum won't let me post a vertical bar)

(3) If it reads but doesn't write, Is it even capable of writing?

cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info

Note: When interpreting the results, "1" means "yes", "0" means "no".

(4) In any event, you seem to be trying to install a Windows driver (.inf) on a Linux system. Was Linux unable to provide a suitable driver? If not, what are you using that allows Linux to make use the Windows driver? "ndiswrapper" perhaps? If so (and only if so) you might want to try:

sudo ndiswrapper -i cdrom.inf

Sorry, if it's not something simple, I probably can't help.

o

Yes it reads. I installed this version of ubuntu on it,and I can view a photo disc.
Disk utility shows it but has a dash beside write cache. K3B shows it,but says error beside write.
cat/proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info:
drive name: sr0
drive speed: 52
drive # of slots: 1
Can close tray: 1
Can open tray: 1
Can lock tray: 1
Can change speed: 1
Can select disk: 0
Can read multisession: 1
Can read MCN: 1
Reports media changed: 1
Can play audio: 1
Can write CD-R: 0
Can write CD-RW: 0
Can read DVD: 0
Can write DVD-R: 0
Can write DVD-RAM: 0
Can read MRW: 1
Can write MRW: 1
Can write RAM: 1

no ndiswrapper
I honestly don't know what I'm using that allows me to use the driver. Maybe I can't? How would I get a linux driver? I am up to date on all kernel updates as far as I know.
I thought maybe I just needed to add something else like a destination for the file?
If I can't get it figured out I will try ubuntu forums. Thanks for your help chuggerguy!

o

Does this mean no way of making it write?

Run "wodim --devices" for details.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.34
Wodim version: 1.1.11
SCSI buffer size: 64512
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 5
Response Format: 2
Capabilities :
Vendor_info : 'HL-DT-ST'
Identification : 'CD-ROM GCR-8483B'
Revision : 'GW02'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-ROM.
Current: 0x0008 (CD-ROM)
Profile: 0x0008 (CD-ROM) (current)
wodim: Sorry, no CD/DVD-Recorder or unsupported CD/DVD-Recorder found on this target.

o

Hi kaijutokusatsu.

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing. It's a "CD-ROM" drive and is only capable of reading.
A quick search took me here, which seems to verify?

o

Yeah...I feel stupid. Oh well. Back to the drawing board. I don't suppose there is any way to use a portable dvd player as a dvd drive for a computer.

o

You can buy a cheap external portable DVD player like this guy recommends...

Here is a link that might be useful: How To

This post was edited by shaxhome on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 13:53

o

I don't have a portable dvd player but if it's what I picture it to be, no, it will only play, not burn.

I bet you could order a good burner for less than $20 if you don't need it right now.

If you do need it right now, I don't know. Burn it on another computer? Borrow a burner out of an old computer? Local shop/retailer?

Another possible approach: If you have a spare USB flash drive, write it as a bootable flash? https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

o

Thanks. I only mentioned a dvd player because I have a perfectly brand new linux mint 14 dvd, which I bought, not realising my two old pcs only boot with cds. I really need to start paying more attention.
As for the usb, yes I have an iso ready to go on one but my pc will not boot with it. LOL! Anyway short of winning the lottery these old clunkers are what I have to work with for now. I'll figure something out!

o

The bumbling around you're describing doesn't make it sound like you're an ideal candidate for using linux.

I'm not sure how many PCs you need to use, but if you're trying to make a go of it with old ones, you might do better if you stick to Windows.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here