SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maureen_janda

Dell Vista 1st full backup screwed up

Maureen Janda
11 years ago

I have a Dell Vista home system, never backed it up, until yesterday's attempt. ( Terrible, I know. Mea culpa.) I directed the backup to my D "RECOVERY" disc,because D is listed as the "Recovery" disc, but I now suspect that D is for the system to use, not me, because the backup failed due to lack of space. Now I'm being nagged by the system with "you're almost out of disc space" type nags. My main disc "C" still has plenty of space, so I'm guessing it needs space on D to do its work.

I think D was empty before this mess, but I'm not positive. If it's just used for temporary files, etc., I could delete all the folders on it, which look like the backup of the folders on the C disc. D now contains Dell, Program Files, Program Data, Sources, Tools, Users, Windows and MediaID.bin. All of these except Sources and Tools also reside on the C disc.

I can't find any way to tell on what date these folder were put on D; the only date shown is date last modified. If I could see they were placed there on the date I ran the backup, I'd feel more confident about deleting them.

I could try renaming the files on D and see if the system chokes after I do it. If not, then delete?

I knew I should have left well-enough alone. Sigh.

Comments (9)