Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AMD vs Intel for laptop?

Posted by msrose (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 12:51

I'm looking at two HPs, which are both $499. I can get one with Intel Core i3, 4GB memory, and 500 GB hard drive or I can get an AMD with 8GM memory and 750GB hard drive. I just use my computer for internet, emailing, creating word documents/spreadsheets. So, is the brand more important or the RAM/hardrive?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AMD vs Intel for laptop?

Brand doesn't matter. If there's a large speed difference (expressed in GHz), like if one is below 2.0 and the other is 2.6 or more, when higher is better, that would matter. You say the Intel has 3 cores, if the other is a single, that matters (having more than one is better). Otherwise, you'll never know the difference.

o

i3 if 4th generation will have graphics that are hard to beat in a 500 dollar laptop. Probably higher ram bus speed too. whats that good for? Future.

win8 likes 6gb of memory ,,, or more - in my use its rare it uses more than 5.6gb, but mostly its happy well below that. I noticed a lot of laptops being sold with 6gb which makes me wonder how they utilize full dual channel. 2 - odd sized 3gb modules ?

o

This is what the i3 says:

3rd generation Intel Core i3-3110M 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD

This is the AMD, which has now dropped down to $479:

AMD Dual-Core A6-4400M 2.7GHz, 8GB DDR3, 750GB HDD

These are both with Windows 7. My 3rd option would be this one for $520:

2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2350M Processor (2.3 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache). Memory - 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard drive - 640GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive

o

As Snidely and Mickie note, basically it is the same soup but different gravy.

Mickie's note about Windows 8 liking the 8 gigs of RAM (memory) holds true for these Windows 7 machines too. All 3 are 64 bit computers which is good.

The 2Dimms mentioned in your third choice simply tells you there are only 2 memory slots and very likely both populated with a 2 gig stick of memory. I think all laptops only have 2 slots so it becomes wasted words to fill a page.

o

msrose, honestly I think you'll enjoy either equally.

My experience and views differ from Owbist's:

I have two Win 7 machines, one with 3.2 Ghz/4 gigs of RAM, the other with a slower processor/2 gigs of RAM. Both are rather zippy and never struggle at all with the uses I put them to. RAM is cheap and can be necessary for hardcore gaming or working with processor intensive apps and big files (something few people do). Otherwise, boosting what's in the box really serves no purpose and won't make a difference in the user experience. To say that 8 megs is required is an overstatement, in my experience.

The main difference between 32 and 64 bit systems is that you need 64 bit Windows to have more than 4 gigs of RAM. Given two machines of otherwise equal specs and 4 or fewer gigs of RAM, the user would discern little or no difference.

o

So, if I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like #2 would be my best option because the 2.7GHz, 8GB,750GB is higher than the others and it doesn't matter that this one has AMD instead of intel. It looked like this one had more than the first, but the only difference I could see in the two was the processor brand, so I was worried the AMD was inferior. Are computers with AMD typically cheaper than the ones with Intel. Still trying to understand why they're the same price, when one looks better than the other.

o

Generally, the AMD processors are cheaper than Intel, and for some applications (gaming, etc.) Intel does a better job. But for day to day usage, most AMD processors are completely satisfactory. My older desktop has the AMD processor (64 bit) and my newer laptop has Intel. Frankly, I cannot tell any difference with speed, multi-tasking, etc.

o

Thank you!

o

• Posted by mikie z9 St.Pete.FL (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 12:52

The AMD processor number you mentioned is not a true dual core. Hybrid somehow to emulate dual core, and has somebodys graphics chip combined with it.

So that particular AMD is less processor, less graphics than the intel 3rd generation for sure. Should be less money .. with intel you generally get premium quality, i3 is on the low end of their better processors, but its not their budget line,, you pay some extra for their name too.

Playing with win 8 for past 6 months has showed me that win8 or 8.1 .. I would be more happy with quad core processor now. Win8 is sort of 2 different versions of windows and something else - the dang tiles, some running processes in background and constantly doing stuff even if you don't use them.

This post was edited by mikie on Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 12:57

o

Thanks, Mikie. I decided to go with #1.

I noticed it will have Microsoft Office 2013 and I currently have 2007. Will I be able to save my current spreadsheets and documents to 2013?

o

Be careful assuming Office is the full suite. From my understanding this will be a stripped down version so do not give away the Office 2007 just yet ;~)

o

Also, the office may only be a 3 or 6th month free trial, then you will be asked to buy it as with the anti-virus program that comes with it be it McAfee or Norton..my preference would be to totally uninstall McAfee or Norton at the first opportunity when you first start it up. Then, install one of the very good free ones ie. MSE, Avast etc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here