Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PDF problem

Posted by acraftylady (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 12:36

Windows 7 and IE9 and my adobe viewer is all up to date. All of a sudden I can't open PDF files from online. I can go to the main page of a site right click and save the PDF then open on the desktop fine.

Let's say I am googling crochet patterns and there is a link taking me right to a PDF pattern I click and I get a message internet explorer has stopped working and I have to close out the page and go and find the main page to see where the PDF pattern is and save it that way. I think this just started a few days ago and I am puzzled what is causing it and don't even know where to start for a fix. Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PDF problem

One of the first things to try is simply restarting the computer. The second thing is to clear history, cookies in the browser. Please also refer to the web link provided for additional ideas.

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: cant-view-pdf-web.

o

Sorry forgot to say that is the first thing I tried was a reboot and clearing cache and all that and no luck. I can view PDF files if I save it to the desktop and open but if I come across a link online straight to the PDF the site starts to come up and IE says it has stopped working so I am thinking it's something with IE9. I wonder if any of the recent MS updates caused something. I think I had a bunch of them recently in the last week or 2. Mary!

o

Ok gonna try this but what document window do they mean? I tried right clicking the little yellow folder in adobe but you can't. Mary

Deselect and then reselect to Display PDF In Browser preference
1. In Reader or Acrobat, right-click the document window, and select Page Display Preferences.
2. From the list at left, select Internet.
3. Deselect Display PDF In Browser, and then click OK.
4. Choose Edit > Preferences > Internet, select Display PDF In Browser, and then click OK.
5. Try to download the PDF again from the website.

o

I'm not sure and I don't have Adobe installed. I'd imagine if you open Adobe it opens to a document window, but I'm. guessing

o

I don't know I can't find those settings in my reader. I have to go out and help a senior set up a nextbook to her wifi so will work on my problem later. It's no biggie but I would like to know what happened all of a sudden. Will boot up the laptop with vista and IE9 later and see if it's doing the same. Mary

o

I don't know I can't find those settings in my reader. I have to go out and help a senior set up a nextbook to her wifi so will work on my problem later. It's no biggie but I would like to know what happened all of a sudden. Will boot up the laptop with vista and IE9 later and see if it's doing the same. Mary

o

o

Well sorry for the multiple posts. Yesterday when I hit submit on that response I kept getting a white page that said internal error contact site administratior or some such so after the 3rd try gave up and didn't realize it had posted those 3 times. Mary

o

Well I just realized my adobe reader says special editionn or some such. I think it was on the new computer when I got it or something. I uninstalled that and went to adobe and installed the latest one from there. Opened a document then right clicked in the reading area and found the settings and unchecked and rechecked and still can't open PDF's from online. Here is one example of a site I can't open. It must be something from recent MS updates I bet. Mary

http://sewtakeahike.typepad.com/files/chrysanthemum-hotpad.pdf

o

It opens fine for me. Can you try another browser?

o

Installed firefox and it works fine there. This just started about a week ago as I know it worked when I first got the computer a few months ago. Mary

o

Ok. So it's definitely an Internet IE9 issue.

Lets reset Internet explorer 9 to default settings.

Google "Reset Internet Explorer to default settings"

You will find instructions to to just that. Have trouble let me know.

Once you reset IE 9 to default try to open the On- Line Pdf file

Let me know how you get on.

Joe

o

Why not use another pdf reader instead of Adobe? Or, better yet, try Chrome as your browser with its built-in pdf reader.

o

Well I have liked IE9 since windows 98 and that's what I like and I don't want to use another PDF viewer. They have both worked fine for me since windows 98 until last week. Tried firefox once on both computers and all I got was freezing pages and IE has never done that to me. Gonna go try that suggestion and report back. Mary

o

A big thank you. I never noticed the rest button there in the advanced tab and that did the trick. Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here