SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clairdo2_gw

nocomputer

clairdo2
10 years ago

My computer doesnt work. The antenna button that should be white is red and it just wont change.It's an HP laptop and is 3 yrs old.Do you know what the problem is ?

Comments (11)

• clairdo2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

forgot to say i have wireless internet...

• mikie_gw
    10 years ago

You're talking to us now.. from same home ? How ?

If you think its your computer having a problem from some install or update you can always run the System Restore and choose and run yesterdays or day before this problem started.

• socks
    10 years ago

Have you rebooted it?

Is your internet service possibly out?

This is going to sound dumb, but when our wireless goes out, I unplug the router and the modem both for a few minutes (unplug from electrical current), then replug them, give a few minutes for them to set up, and the wireless works. To be honest, I don't know which device is responsible for the wireless, I just know this works for me.

• clairdo2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am writing from another computer.Icant reboot or do anything at all.My other computer is working so it's not the internet.They are hooked up together.I will try unplugging router and modem for awhile.

Thank you

• randy427
    10 years ago

When DW's HP laptop acts up, I hold the power switch in the startup position until the computer shuts down. Then I remove the battery. After about 30 seconds, I reinstall the battery and start the computer. It usually is working fine at that time. (This procedure was reccomended by HP's help desk.)
    Running a virus scan, disc cleaner and backup at that point might also be a good idea

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Press and hold down the power until it goes off. It will work, I promise :-)

• clairdo2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It worked for awhile but now it just hums and goes off again.How do i get it to go on...

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    10 years ago

Some years ago I had a similar problem with an old Dell tower and it turned out to be something mechanical in the fan. I've an HP laptop that overheats when the bottom is flat on some surfaces.

• clairdo2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been reading about my problem and it sounds like i ned a new motherboard. Are they very expensive ?

• owbist
    10 years ago

Clairdo be very very careful about installing a new motherboard.

Tell us the make and model of your computer.

I assume you, like most other people have a factory built machine, if so the Windows operating system is tied to the motherboard in the machine now. If you replace the motherboard you will need to buy another copy of Windows. Microsoft changed that rule many years ago.

Also based on your questions here over the years I do not think you would attempt the replacement yourself so there would be a considerable fee from a tech guy to the the job.

Check prices carefully as I feel you can buy a new computer for less than the price to fix the one you have.

What makes you think the issue is with the motherboard?

• clairdo2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

t was about the lights that go on and off and then just dies. think you convinced me to buy a new computer
    Thank you