SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lazy_gardens

Windows 7 versus Mint Linux :)

lazy_gardens
9 years ago

I'm moving off a 9-year old laptop - it was the SO's old business machine and I've been hauling it around for a few years. The fan began whining, the batter charge chip lies to me, etc ... it's lasted far longer than most laptops.

Windows 7 came with the new machine ... lots of setup had apparently been done by Lenovo. It's pretty much self-installing.

Although, the install kept trying to sell me Lenovo's "cloud storage" plan for $$$.

Unfortunately, after an easy install, I had ZERO in the way of work tools ... no Office suite, no graphics tools except Paint, and only their virus-prone browser and e-mail software. They provided some multimedia stuff (watch/burn DVDs, play music). And their wimpy IM software.

Full vulnerability to all ads, pop-ups, and all the annoyances of the web.

========
I downloaded Mint version of Linux (their "cinnamon" user interface) and I installed it. "Mint" has a very Windows NT/XP look and feel to it, and I hate having to learn new interfaces.

The install is almost as easy as Win7 ... it detected Windows and offered to share space or wipe it out. I shrank the Windows space way down and installed Mint.

Extremely easy: It spotted the wireless networks, recommended I connect so I could get updates and MOAR SOFTWAREZ easily, and all I had to do was click a few buttons.

Here's the main difference: I got an office suite (Libre Office), a superb photo editor (the GIMP), a close to virus-proof operating system, several varieties of multimedia software, the best IM (Pidgin), Firefox, Thunderbird, and an easy menu to download anything I want or need, like games. FREE!

And WINE so I can install and run all my old windows software!

=============
For now it's a dual-boot system. If I restart, I have my choice of Mint or Win7.

Comments (10)