Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passwords easily cracked

Posted by owbist (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 11:27

Here is a very interesting short article on how easy it is to crack our passwords these days.

Well worth the time to read I think.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passwords easily cracked

very good article, it is truly amazing the speed at which the brute force crackers work. I saw one at work many years ago and it was much faster than I could even read, these new methods are blazing. Yet so many people are still using their pets name as their password!or even worse the word password.

o

I found out my passwords are stored on FF, that's very handy for me, but if anyone stole my PC, they would have access to them. I guess that is a good reason to have password every time you boot up.

o

I wish there was a good password manager. I can't keep track of all the passwords. I let FF save them for websites only. I do use their master password and have a log-on password.

Just too many to remember!

Jane

o

I have used RoboForm for several years to generate, save, and access my passwords. Of course if someone really wants to hack a computer I doubt any program would be safe. This is just more for my aged brain, otherwise I would never be able to keep up with all of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: RoboForm

o

I use a form I printed off the net and type them in there with other info I might need and keep in a drawer

o

If you didn't have a password they couldn't crack it. Nothing to crack. Better off without em. :-)

o

I have a tablet on my desk and make notes when I set up a new id and password. When I finish I add the info to my code book and hide it. Then the only problem is remembering where I hid it. I had to learn the hard way to hide it in the same place every time.

o

I use LastPass addon for Firefox.I have over 200 sites with passwords and Lastpass does most of them without a hitch.Occasionally lastpass will have trouble with certain sites (maybe 5%)but it's great and VERY secure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4-h5gWpvAc
Steve Gibson is a paranoid computer expert.(Which is good)
You only have to remember 1 master password.
Hope this helps ya,
Jimbo

Here is a link that might be useful: Lastpass addon for Firefox

o

Thanks for the info. My passwords stay with me and never on the PC. The sad part is, my bank recently notified me that my passwords along with other customers were stolen off a vendor computer. That�s three times in the last five years my information has been stolen not from my PC but from big organizations I do business with.

o

I'm with V, I store mine in an nondescript book right next to my computer. Secreting the book wouldn't hurt though.

DA

o

I first write mine down and once I know they're working, store them on a flash drive.

Seems it is getting harder and harder to come up with pass words that can't be cracked.

o

I guess my passwords are on my PC because I have FF save them. I didn't realize they would be saved in an place that was easily accessed.

o

I too only keep mine in my notebook dedicated just to that which I keep in a secured location. If they break into my home steal my pc and also manage to find my password book I will likely be dead in the process so ....

I never let my browser remember passwords

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here