Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I view Fox News (TV) live on my computer

Posted by jerry_nj (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 11:07

I am considering changing my high cost cable TV connection to just "basic". The reason I pay for the expanded channels is to get Fox News and a few other programs.

I did a brief search and it seems there are a number of offers for "free" programs that facilitate viewing "streaming" TV programs. I am always reluctant to download and install any program from the web.

Another issue, what is the minimum Internet speed needed? I currently have only 1.5 mbit DSL. I can upgrade to 3, or maybe 5 mbit DSL for a lot less than the cost of the expanded TV cable access. I'd also have faster Internet access for general use too. Still, I'm happy with basic 1.5 mbit for current Internet uses.

Really two questions: 1) access to streaming TV, 2) minimum Internet download speed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I view Fox News (TV) live on my computer

Have you done any searching for a live stream of Fox News..did you try this link???

Here is a link that might be useful: Fox News

o

Thanks genes, yes I was to that site before I posted my question, and went again using the link you provided. Both times I had Fox News on my TV to compare with. It turns out I could see it wasn't the same programing, even. The lady on the computer was a person I've never seen on Fox News. It appears to be a special program/staff just for web consumption.

o

Google ww itv. Select English. Down the left side find United States. There are several of these that have Fox News. Maybe, maybe not what you want. Just for your information.

o

Not so vague,

The Web server (running the Web Site) encountered an unexpected condition that prevented it from fulfilling the request by the client (e.g. your Web browser or our CheckUpDown robot) for access to the requested URL.

This error can only be resolved by fixes to the Web server software. It is not a client-side problem. It is up to the operators of the Web server site to locate and analyse the logs which should give further information about the error.

This is a 'catch-all' error generated by the Web server. Basically something has gone wrong, but the server can not be more specific about the error condition in its response to the client. In addition to the 500 error notified back to the client, the Web server should generate some kind of internal error log which gives more details of what went wrong. It is up to the operators of the Web server site to locate and analyse these logs.

o

Here You Go: FOX NEWS

o

If it is about saving money perhaps you might chat with a local antenna store. From what I have read you can expect better results from an external antenna than from cable or satellite. One purchase price, no further expenses.

o

Yes I have considered turning my antenna back on, it is in my attic. But, Fox News, like all cable news programs are available on on "cable" (or satellite). I am a bit out in the country too, about equal distance from NY City and Philadelphia. Both have good broadcast bases, but neither is good over 35 miles away. NY was my best, but not great before cable came down our country road.

I did find that Comcast has a (not advertised and almost invisible on their web site) "Digital Economy" that offers most of what I watch, including Fox News, for $39, or a $30 per month savings. There is also an attractive Satellite offer from my telephone company from which I buy DSL and telephone (local only) service.

And, thanks for the link to Fox News, that appears to be the cable show with a slight time off-set. I think the web was about 2 seconds ahead of the TV.

o

Justme...

Thanks again for the link to Fox News, but I wonder how your found it given the link: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nocksfuze

That is, how did you relate "nocksfuze" to Fox News. I did explore the site at ..../channel and found many choices, but never found the Fox News Channel. I searched on "Fox News" not on "nocksfuze".

To answer my other question, a 1.5 mb Internet access (DSL in my case) is sufficient to get the tv programs I watched. There may have been a few breaks, but not many. I did note extra commercials to pay for this service which were far more annoying than any down load speed limitation.

As luck would have it we had a thunder storm in Northern NJ yesterday and it took my cable service down. It was off and is still off as there appears to be a problem unique to my address - Comcast tech is coming by around noon time today. So, the Internet access was the only access I had to my favorite Fox programs last night - it works, but I'll admit I like the big screen tv better.

In any case, this gave me a trial run on getting Fox News only on my computer.

o

I watch Fox at this site just about everyday.
(watching now 8)

I found it the same way you did .. someone told me 8)

'Sometimes' it doesn't work but most of the time I have no problem.

FOX

o

I too think it was a pretty good trick to find nocksfuze. BTW, Wikipedia has a page on ustream.tv and links to about a dozen similar sites but no buzz on nocksfuze.

o

Wikipedia has a page on ustream.tv and links to about a dozen similar sites but no buzz on nocksfuze.

That's a good thing too! 8)

I've had over a dozen sites that 'use' to air Fox but Fox was/is quick at shutting them down!
(fingers crossed)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here