SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Windows 8 Slowing down, security updates?

jerry_nj
10 years ago

One of the things I liked about W8 on a new Gateway large screen laptop was the speed, especially noticed on boot and shut down.

The subject machine has been used only for browsing and accessing email via a browser - it is not loaded with my "work machine" application or user data.

I have owned this machine for about 2 months and have run it much like a W7 machine. I have one of the tiles on the W8 desktop set to start my preferred browser: Firefox. When I click there the desktop shifts to my W7-like desktop which includes a lower tool bar that looks like my W7 machine plus it has a "Gateway Power Button" which when clicked displays a selection of actions, including "shut down". Up to a few days back when I hit the GPB the selection action menu would be displayed within 3 seconds, I estimate. It now takes upward of 15 seconds (both measurements are estimates). When the Shut Down button is clicked the screen still goes dark quickly, say about 2 seconds and the indicator LEDs on the front edge of the laptop flash for another 5-10 seconds, I do not notice any increased delay in this last step.

I have not added anything new over this period, and wonder if the W8 updated/patches from MS have caused this delay, perhaps more time for security actions, one might hope.

I am still happy with W8 which is no different in my application of it from W7 except for the still faster action, browser up/down being another area where W8 gives me improved response.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH