Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ransomware Virus Round 2

Posted by Aputernut (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 10:24

News on the Today Show this virus is once again on the rampage so ya'll be careful out there, it locks up your PC untill you pay a ransom or all files will be lost forever, it comes up with a red screen and a clock counting down the time you have to pay up. Do not click on attachments like tracking numbers for pkgs. etc in E-mail.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ransomware Virus Round 2

Thanks for the warning, it's a reminder that it is time for a back up.

o

Yet another reason to use Linux.

It's really hard to get these virus infections.

o

Lazydunes, it seems like you're repeatedly coming to this forum by mistake.

What you're looking for is www.internet_trolls.com.

o

LOL. good one Snidely ;~)

o

Dear snidely:
I'm not "trolling". I'm pointing out that in order to get a virus on my laptop I would have to download it, unpack it, log on as ROOT, and install it. All you have to do is click on a link and they'll install themselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_Internet

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Am I inflammatory? off-topic?

===========

Computer Help Forum
This forum is meant for the discussion of personal computers, including recommendations, common problems and solutions, how to get even with the people who wrote the software, etc.

Where does it say "Microsoft is the only approved OS for discussion on this forum"?

Oh, in the same place that banned the discussion of Linux? And made you boss? I see now.

o

By definition: Snidely -- Derogatory in a malicious, superior way.

o

fwiw; maybe 2 days ago I yahoo searched 'World Globe Philippines. Then clicked one of the globe results icons .. I was looking for a near city where the equator line passed thru Philippines. So I clicked to zoom the globe..

Instantly bright page.. your files have been encrypted. Wouldn't let me close the browser or the page. Wanted me to click something to agree, or on a popup to leave the page and become forever encrypted.

I opened task manager and Internet Explorer was suspended.
I ended the process to get it closed.. Then ran some scans and found nothing. It was a definite gotcha page for anyone that didn't think to go to task manager.

o

And your files are not encrypted? Sounds somewhat different than other stories I've read about where the message flashes only after the files have been locked.

o

I kind of browse the internet differently.. with a ram drive. I suspect, its hard to get out of that cache onto the hard drive without some extra effort on the programmer.

o

Dear lazy,

I'm not the sheriff, nor is anyone else. A PC is a PC is a PC, I'm not aware of any topic or other restrictions besides the normal terms of use.

What triggered my comment to you was the second or third evangelical comment you'd made concerning linux in as many days. Many of the folks who come here for help are nervous novices who want to escape frustrating situations they get into. People for whom most would agree a linux recommendation is ill-advised.

I think people should ask about or discuss whatever they want. You'll have the most impact as a contributor if you can share your PC expertise with suggestions that are responsive to the needs of the audience.

o

Mikie Instantly bright page.. your files have been encrypted. Wouldn't let me close the browser or the page. Wanted me to click something to agree, or on a popup to leave the page and become forever encrypted.

AHAH! FAKE ransomware sites ... they are hoping to stampede you into agreeing to have their service fix the non-existent problem. The hard part is prying them loose from the browser - killing the process does it.

I deliberately went to one of those sites for an article I was writing on computer scams: it claimed to detect the current high profile virus, and was busily "scanning" my computer, reporting a non-existent file structure (the usual default Windows structure) and finding viruses that couldn't infect my OS ... but for a non-technical person it would have been impressive.

Then it asked me to pay them something small to clean out the viruses. I said "No" and it just kept sitting there, blinking and demanding money.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here