Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can't upload antivirus

Posted by linda_6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 9:43

I have Windows 7 internet explorer. My Norton antivirus expires in 10 days. Comcast has a free version that I uploaded ok on my computer, but on my DH's computer it keeps knocking me out saying it cannot upload and then it say windows explorer has quit working. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks bunches.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can't upload antivirus

You must uninstall all Norton crap before you download & install another.

o

Try using a different browser, there's no reason to fight with a browser when you're trying to accomplish something unrelated to it.

I suggest you uninstall the "old" Norton version currently on the PC before installing the one from Comcast

o

ok, i'll try this and see how it works. thank you.

o

Please be sure to use the manufacturer's appropriate removal too..

DA

o

ok I'm really having a dilemma here. I uninstalled Norton and still cannot download anything. I called Comcast and they couldn't remote into the computer. he said i won't be able to download anything because something is wrong with explorer. how do i bring the computer back to the factory mode. we also tried in safe mode and that didn't work either. thank you all bunches and bunches for any help you can give me.

o

"Something is wrong with explorer," Do you mean explorer.exe. Not internet explorer right. explorer .exe is the windows shell and provides all the desktop Icons, start menu etc.

If that is the case do a system restore back a few days and see.

You can also recreate explorer.exe from the task manager <---You can Google that in bold if needed.

o

oh boy, let me try that to see if it works.

o

The only browser we use on the computer is internet explorer. We can go onto the internet. the problem is I cannot download any free anti virus or download anything. I keep getting a message that say it cannot download and then it kicks me out of the internet. I was able to uninstall the Norton, which was ending anyway.

o

Try the system restore first. Do you know how to do it ?

Just Google System restore win 7 if you have trouble.

o

update and a big thank you for all the help and suggestions.
I did a restore and still couldn't download the free antivirus. so I thought, ok,let me try to download google chrome. Well, that worked and now I have download the free antivirus from Comcast.net. The only question I have about google chrome is how do I get back to the home page after going into other sites?

o

Linda, on the upper right corner of Chrome, you should see three horizontal lines. Click on that and look for Settings. You will then see a number of items, one of which is choosing and setting your home page. Once you have used it a while, I think you will like Chrome very much. I also use Firefox, but Chrome is my favorite browser.

o

Thank you grandms. My DH is very happy right now. I think I'm going to use Chrome on my laptop also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here