SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
walnutseed

PowerReg Scheduler

abreeze
12 years ago

I'm visiting my sister and just ran SuperAntiSpyware on her laptop which runs XP. It checked a number of items to be quarantined and showed 2 PowerReg Scheduler application files but did not check them.

I used my laptop and Googled info on PowerReg Scheduler and found mixed results. Many said that PowerReg Scheduler can and should be removed. I decided to let Super quarantine the checked items and searched for further info on the PowerReg ones. (PowerReg is not listed in Add/Remove Programs. I removed it from the StartUp.)

The 2 files are:

C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\PINKBEAUTY\START ENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP\POWERREG SCHEDULER V3.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\PREFETCH\POWERREG SCHEDULER V3.EXE-338086FE.pf

In my research it was also suggested to empty the prefetch folder occasionally to increase speed in XP. This has never been done to her pc.

Your thoughts? Thank you.

Comments (6)

• owbist
    12 years ago

If you found those 2 files by using the search feature you should be able to right click on each then click to delete.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

it appears to be installed with any product which is associated with leader technologies(they do the registration application), she likely at some time had or has one of their programs,(many companies use them including printer companies) it says it is used for one time registration purposes so it should be fine to remove it.
    Is your program "spyware" or "adware"?
    that is their reply in their faq page

this is the info from processlibrary
    What is powerreg scheduler v3.exe doing on my computer?

you probably saw some of that already, you can remove it with out worry.

I never bother with the prefetch folder.

but you could install ATF for her and she can safely use it to help her with clean up
    ATF-Cleaner

I would also tell her about using the secunia scan to make sure all the important stuff that needs updating is updated on her pc, those are very important and many leave huge vulnerabilities if not updated
    Welcome to Secunia Online Software Inspector (OSI)
    that is the online scan but you can get the one you install
    Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI)

• abreeze
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Owbist and RC. I'll delete those files without any fears. My sister doesn't use her computer and relies on me to keep it clean and up to date. It's here for when her daughters visit. Thanks for suggesting the scan, Raven. I'll do that next.

Your help is greatly appreciated! :)

• owbist
    12 years ago

abreeze you can clean your sister's computer from yours if you wish without leaving home. I use Teamviewer which allows you to use your monitor, keyboard and mouse to control computers in other locations and have full control.

Unless of course you are close enough to pop over there when needed, in which case you get the added advantage of the personal visit.

• abreeze
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, owbist... I'm bookmarking that site! That's a great suggestion as I'm out of state. :-)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

I too use it to help my sister who is in a different state.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals