Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I am at a Xroad

Posted by ronalawn82 (toulsa@verizon.net) on
Sat, Jun 18, 11 at 9:00

I have a Gateway laptop and recently acquired an "Inspiron 560" desktop.
Trouble is, all my information is stored on 3.5" discs.
The "Inspiron" has no 3.5" disc slot. It has SM, XD, CF/MD. SDMINI, MMC/RS, MS/PRO DUO slots.
The laptop has a PCMIA slot in addition to the 3.5"
What are my options?
I want the Gateway for portability and the desktop for Home/Office use. Reluctantly, I realize that 3.5" discs are obsolescent.
Your advice is most welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I am at a Xroad

If you have a router.. enable networking and file sharing.

I assume they both have USB.. a usb thumb drive mwke it fairly simple if not networked.

o

A 3.5 disc contains no more than 1.44 MB. You didn't mention how many discs are involved...10? 20? More? You could create one or more .zip files of the files you want to move. Create a secondary email address for yourself (if you don't already have one) and email the files to that address, then download and unzip them. Might take a little time and effort, but would work if you have no immediate alternative.

o

Or copy them to the laptop, burn to CD/DVDs and transfer. This also gives you a more up to date set of backups.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here