Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foxit Reader

Posted by urlee (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 7:54

I just DL'd Foxit to my laptop.
It asked if I wanted to set it for Default PDF viewer.
Being unfamiliar with it, I chose not.
If so, it said, to reset back to other reader, need to run other reader and set Default over there.
I am using Adobe reader 9 and can not find anywhere to be able to do that? Should it be under the Help? If so, where?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foxit Reader

I just happened to think-----Would it show "Set as Default" ONLY if it was NOT the default one? And would it appear under the Help button?

o

Have you been using multiple PDF viewers? I will make a guess that the answer is no. If you were using Adobe before trying Foxit, and chose not to set Foxit as the default, then I'm betting that Adobe was and still is the default and nothing needs to be set. All you have to do to find out is double-click a PDF file and see which program launches...then you will have your answer.

o

Urlee,

Did you check your new owner's manual? I just had to say that. :)

Did you check the .pdf file association through the Default Programs folder in the Control Panel?

I haven't used AR in years. Too bulky and integrated into the O/S. If you ever go to remove it use REVO. It can be a bit of a challenge to remove AR completely.

DA

o

Adobe is my Default reader right now.
Had I chose Foxit to be Default, would and where could I change back to Adobe to be Default?

o

I suggest you google...set file associations in XP... (or Vista, or Win7) as that's how this gets done.

o

OH My!
I guess me no speaka goot Enlisha to get across what I mean.
Please read my first post slowly.

Had I made Foxit Default-----How could I get Adobe BACK as Default?
Thence of course my follow up next referring to Adobe.

o

Google Chrome has PDF reading capabilities.
Firefox I read will soon have it too.
IE10 supposedly has it also.

Change Adobe back to default by holding down,,, ummm, i think Ctrl or Shift while right clicking a .pdf file and choose open with... and then choose Adobe, and check the box use as default.

o

Urlee,

If AR does not offer you the opportunity to somewhere on the AR Toolbar set it as the .pdf default then please go to the Default Programs folder as I previously suggested. There you will be afforded an opportunity to select .pdf and associate that type file/suffix with your reader of choice.

Or, hook it up between the right speaker and the HDMI output. :)

DA

o

Urlee I think this microsoft page tells how to do that for all types of instances so I am sure you can use this to do what you may need to do.
How to change or select which program starts when you double-click a file in Windows XP

o

Does anyone here use Foxit as their Default?

I can make it my default and if I do not like it, I could delete it off my system. Then AR should work like before.
Just a thought.

o
RE: Foxit Reader DA

DA

Come again? We are talking Video?
Photobucket

o

I don't use foxit I use pdf xchange also a good choice is Sumatra. I fully eliminated adobe from my computers so I don't have to continually update it, all the updates for it are always important security related ones, saves me a lot of updating time. Even though you may not use adobe you must do those updates.

o

My hdmi thingy is on the side of the laptop here.
I can't see it..
I guess there's one on the back of my tv too ...
I can't see it there either.
My energy savings led flashlight quit working after I dropped it. Why don't they put bright lights in living rooms so you can see things, while you're still alive.

o

Just having fun Urlee. The important stuff is at the other place.

I have been using Fox It Reader for years now. No problems with it.

DA

o

I use Foxit as my default PDF reader. Haven't used Adobe Reader in several years. I've never had a problem opening and reading a PDF file with Foxit. If you try it and decide you don't like it, then you can just uninstall and Adobe will revert to your default reader. I like Foxit well enough that I uninstalled Adobe.

o

Urlee I too have used FoxIt for years now and have never had an issue with it.

To answer your "no speakada engleesh"
you would go the Control Panel and click on Default Programs then Set Associations... look for pdf click on it and then click on change program to go back to Adobe.

Oh and just for fun while you're there you could try looking for PIP! ;-))

Bob

o

Thank you all for putting up with me. I valued all your replies!
My reason for wanting to try Foxit is, I have been reading our daily paper electronically and all of a sudden it won't let me, saying I have to DL an add on. (I think active X)
I am, and have been, using IE 8 on windows 7 laptop Adobe Reader 9.
I just tried my desktop WinXP that has Adobe Reader X and all is fine there.
Being on dialup, I chose Foxit to DL on the laptop cause didn't take as long as Adobe would had I chose a newer one.

o

Urlee,

Not having been off of DUN for not to long, and being on a so-so 3G network now I feel your pain. You will like FoxIt.

Bob,

You gave me my Monday morning laugh.

DA

o

Urlee, you really should be using IE9 rather than IE8 on your Windows 7 laptop. The reason you are being reminded about active x is because you are using IE. Other browsers do not use active x. Do you have another browser to use as a backup to IE? If not, you really ought to-----FoxFire or Chrome or Opera. All are good.

o

grandms, You are right. I tried FF and it opened OK.
I do have Opera too but didn't try it.
I think IE is losing ground with me. I was thinking about Google Chrome but have to look into it more.

o

DA

Oh and just for fun while you're there you could try looking for PIP! ;-))
Bob

Bob,
You gave me my Monday morning laugh.
DA

They are picking on me.

Photobucket

o

Yes, they are. You guys shut up!

Urlee, I really like Chrome because of its clean look. It has a built-in PDF reader, too, but I still have Foxit for FF and IE. And did I mention that Chrome is FAST?

o

Just for those who might not know or can't tell Grandms(Bobbie), Urlee, (Shboom)Bob and I have been associates and friends for a long, long time. This banter is just reoccurring fun as to an unrelated thread.

Urlee,

Have you tried Slimbrowser? I use it when my 3G connection slows down.

As always,

Your manual and dictionary pal

o

Yes to DA's post as it IS all in fun and seriousness mixed.

Thanks so much grandms for your input on Chrome. For some reason, awhile back, there was something about it that turned me off to where I did not look into trying it.

DA, (who made my dictionary and manual curl up!)
I shall find and read about slimbrowser too, B4 I DL one of the two or both? (smiles)

o
RE: Foxit ReaderRC

Thanks RC,
I assume it works the same for Win7.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here