Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lost DVD Drive

Posted by arizona-guy (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 8, 11 at 6:36

I have a HP 4110 copy/fax/scanner which wouldn't let me scan to my computer. I downloaded drivers for that particular model from the net and installed them. The scanner still wouldn't work so I removed the software. Now neither my CD drive nor my DVD drive work. I am using Windows Vista. Both drives were working up to installing the software. I checked the connections on both drives. When I check "Computer" they're listed there as D and E. When I check device manager they're both listed under DVD/CD rom drives.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lost DVD Drive

If you mistakenly uninstalled the drivers for the DVD/CD drive, if you reboot, Windows should be able to find them and reinstall them as new hardware

o

Also did you do as HP says and disconnect the scanner from computer while installing? During the install HP will tell you when to connect.

o

genes - I rebooted and they still didn't work.

owbist - I disconnected the scanner from the computer while installing the drivers but the scanner still doesn't work.

Thanks for the replies.

o

You might try removing them in device manager, and then rebooting your computer. It should then reinstall the drivers for you. Good Luck

o

Did you try more than one CD in both drives?
Have you tried a music CD?
When you insert the CD/DVD does the LED light come on on the front of the CD or DVD player?

Was any work done inside the case at about the same time? One wonders if the 80 wire ribbon cable may be off the motherboard, assuming both are on the secondary connector as master and slave.

o

cat-ky : I removed them in device manager and rebooted and now the CD drive works. The DVR still doesn't work.

owbist : I've tried numerous DVDs and none of them work.

Thanks for all the replies. I have a DVD drive from an old computer that I will try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here