SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugar_fl

open office-microsoft word

sugar_fl
10 years ago

I keep losing open office..search can't even find it. the only way I can download again is delete it in add & remove I wonder why it is there but no where else? It will disappear again in a day or 2.

Now does anyone know of any thing else I can use that will open open office doc files.
Dar

Comments (22)

• azinoh
    10 years ago

It's not in your list of installed applications by clicking the START button?
    You aren't getting an icon on your desktop when you install it?

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

azinoh,
    It acts strange. I have open office right now as I deleted it in Add & Remove so I was able to download again. 3 times so far in about the last few weeks It just disappeared for no reason.. The only place it is is add & remove. I did a search NO open office. No shortcuts.. not in programs.. NO where but Add & Remove.
    I have scanned my computer thoroughly..It always comes out clean.
    It takes time but so far I have been able to get it back...if it would just stay.
    Dar

• Related Discussions

Microsoft Word Opening Docs in Multiple Page View

Q

Comments (1)
    If I understand correctly, you may be viewing in "Reading Layout". To change this, click View and select Normal or Print. I hope this helps. Pam
    ...See More

Help with word pad and open office

Q

Comments (4)
    I'm using Open Office (3.2) on a Mac and have noticed the same minor annoyances. Sometimes (not all the time) when I save a document as a Word (.doc) file and then re-open it, the bullets change character. If I open the same document in Word, the bullets are fine. Maybe that's what "free" gets you?
    ...See More

Microsoft Office 2007: Word question

Q

Comments (9)
    Bestlawn! I could have asked you over on KT! I had two lines; one I managed to delete, but I've fumbled around so much I cannot remember what I did! Yes, I think the enter/return is what seems to trigger it. When I try to select the line, a thin vertical highlight strip appears on the left above, through, and below the line, but it will not delete. I've spent the last 20-30 minutes trying to figure it out, searching "help." But it's no big problem, I can scroll it down to the blank page and not print that page. And now that I know how to draw lines w/o triggering the other line, I'll be ok. I suppose 2007 is ok when one gets used to it, but it sure takes up a lot of time getting to that point. It has a default of 1.5 spacing, which is not that good for me. Thanks...you're the "best!"
    ...See More

Microsoft Word

Q

Comments (9)
    Lets try a System Restore, simple process an safe to do, Open System Restore by clicking the Start button In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. Follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point and restore your computer. Joe
    ...See More
  • azinoh
    10 years ago

Are you having other problems with this computer? Are you making frequent use of SYSTEM RESTORE? If, after you install OO, you are restoring the computer to a time when OO was not installed, maybe that is removing your shortcut. That's all I can think of. Programs and their shortcuts don't just disappear for no reason. You are either doing something wrong or you do have a virus/infection and don't know it.

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

azinoh,
    I haven't noticed any other problems on this computer.
    I have scanned with MWB..Avast..SuperAntiSpyWare.
    I have SpywareBlaster. None have found a problem.

I've had this computer about 3 years..It is windows 7.
    I have never done a System Restore on it. I did once on another computer but don't remember how to do it. I have a fear of messing up everything. I don't remember when this problem started.
    I realize something is wrong.. that's why I'm trying to get help here..

• DA_Mccoy
    10 years ago

Are you using any type of system cleaner which could be removing Desktop icons and Start menu entries??

On your C:/ drive please look in the Program Data/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs folder. Anything related to OO?

Again on the C:/ drive, in the folder for Program Files any OO entry?

DA

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

DA,
    I'm not using any type of system cleaner.
    Yes OO is in both of the places U named BUT I also have OO right now. I reinstalled it last nite.
    I feel sure when I lose it again it will be gone from those places too.

What else can I scan with to be sure I don't have a virus?

• DA_Mccoy
    10 years ago

If you lose OO again look at the two locations. I am thinking you are losing the pointers to the application, not the application itself.

Are you saving created documents in the .doc or the default .odt format?

If you click on a store document does it open?

DA

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well OO is gone again..I looked in the places U gave me & only got..(The system can not find the file specified.)
    I had saved it all in a thumb drive BUT they only open when OO is installed. So it looks like when I want to open a file I have to go in Add & Delete..delete OO & reinstall it.
    If anyone has any ideas please help.

Is there any program that will save doc files CHEAP!! or will they do like OO too?
    I copied the files & pasted in word pad & it saved as OO so that didn't work. I have no idea what is wrong & what to do.
    Dar

• azinoh
    10 years ago

Where are you downloading OO from? If you are getting it from a somewhere other than the site below, that could be a problem.

Do multiple people use this computer? Do they each have their own logon? Are you using the computer as the administrator? I'm getting the feeling that OO is not being installed for ALL USERS.

I don't know what "saved it all on a thumb drive" means. I don't even know if OO can be installed and run from a thumb drive but if that's what you did, IMHO that is WRONG. What are you using a thumb drive for and why?

I'd bet a weeks pay that OO is not the problem. It's being used by millions without the difficulties you're having.

Here is a link that might be useful: Open Office

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

azinoh,
    I'll try to answer your questions as I sure want to solve this problem some way.

When I finish here I'll download from the site U gave me. I have been downloading from..ninite.

I doubt the problem is with OO but what? & how do I fix it? I can't bet a weeks pay as I don't have a weeks pay & U would probably win :-)

I am the only one who ever uses this computer But something does come to mind. I have an icon on the desk top that I have to click to use the computer.. it used to have only my name but somehow it is now locked but other than that I see no changes. It is no big deal having to do that but maybe it is.

I only save documents on a thumb/flash drive NOT the program. I use the thumb drive to back up info I don't want to lose in case of a crash. Anything saved from OO is just not useable unless I reinstall it for the moment.

Yes I'm pretty sure I run as the administrator. You may be on to something about it not being installed for ALL USERS even though I am the only user.

People here & other forums (mostly here) are about the only help I have. I'm just an old lady trying to do new things. I have used a computer since the early 90s But not anything fancy.. mostly mail, researching different things & games. I really enjoy researching & get into some strange places but careful of where I go.. If WOT is RED I'm out of there.

Gone to delete OO & install from the site U gave me.. Will also check out the forum there but doubt I find my problem.
    Thanks ,
    Dar

• emma
    10 years ago

Dar, why not leave copies on the PC? If you lost the flash drive you would lose everything. Having them in two places equals more protection. I use an external HD, but leave everything on the PC.

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Emma,
    You misunderstood me.. I do leave everything on the computer..flash/thumb drive is just a backup.
    IF OO is down though I don't have a copy anywhere. I use the send TO command to put on the drive.. should I do it another way? I don't think an external drive would be any different in my case.

• azinoh
    10 years ago

Is this icon you mentioned on your desktop? If the icon that you have to click on to use the computer is now locked...(never heard of this before...first time for everything I guess)...then how are you able to use the computer? Does this icon have a name? Can you right-click the icon and list the options you are given?

• azinoh
    10 years ago

Almost 2 weeks now...nothing more to say? Did you find out what went wrong?

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

azinoh,

I'm sorry I have meant to give an update but things seem to get in my way....Procrastination.
    I downloaded it from the site U gave me..it had an option to to set it to all users..I have lost it twice since then..once when I rebooted & once when the lights went out in the building. That is sure better than before.
    Thanks again for helping me.. thanks everyone.
    I don't know what I'd do without your help.
    Dar

• azinoh
    10 years ago

Is this computer YOUR OWN PERSONAL COMPUTER owned by YOU, or does it belong to your employer? If it belongs to the employer or is connected to the employers network, then your company's IT department may have rules about what CAN and CANNOT be installed on their network and on computers owned by them or used on their network. If this is the case, your should talk to whoever in your building is responsible for computer services and find out if they can assist. It may be that the network doesn't recognize you as someone authorized to install new programs.

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is MY computer & no one else uses it. The building I referred to is an apt type building. It has 100 apt in it for elderly & disabled. It is not a nursing home..just us old folks.
    I'm not sure how the computer got set to multiple users as nothing is connected to it but what I use & I am the only user.... When it comes on or gone to sleep from no use I have to click on an Icon to do anything. Annoying but no big deal to me.
    Dar

• emma
    10 years ago

I never use the sleep mode. I did try years ago, but had a problem and I set all of the power settings on never.

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Emma,
    I know there is a place by the start button that has a sleep button..that is not what I do. If I stay off the computer for awhile the screen saver comes on..then after another short time my screen goes black. I can touch any key & it "wakes" up.
    That is what I was referring to going to sleep. May not be the right term.
    Dar

• emma
    10 years ago

That is not the one I am talking about. The one I set to Never is in the Power Settings. I think it goes to sleep it automatically unless you change the setting. The other one turns off the display

This post was edited by EmmaR on Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 17:13

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Emma,
    I changed the setting like yours. Will that be hard on the monitor staying on all the time? I have always turned my monitor off when
    go to bed anyway.
    Dar

• emma
    10 years ago

I have never had a problem doing that. I especially like the display set to never. I never use the screen saver either. As I said set all the power options to never. I turn the PC and monitor off every night.