Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dell laptop stuck in "logging off".

Posted by rosebudms (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 21:21

Dell Inspiron laptop. About one year old. (From Dell)
It downloaded a bunch of updates last night. This morning it configured them.
Everything since has been very slow. When I tried to shut it down, there were several programs still running. Got that down to one but the thing still won't shut off.
I have unplugged it but still it goes.
Is there anything I can do before I have to take it to the shop?

I am glad there are those of you who understand this. Makes me feel like a total dodo.

Thanks, Rose

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dell laptop stuck in "logging off".

Hold the on/off button down for at least 4 seconds and it will shut down.

o
RE: Dell laptop stuck in "logging off". Thanks

Well, that proves it. I am not only a total dodo but an impatient one as well. . The machine is now off and I will try it tomorrow. Thanks so much for the speedy help.

o

Sometimes the configuring takes a long time..and during those configurations, it tells you "not to turn off the computer"..

o

Rose don't beat your self up. These are not everyday things we all need to know and when we get frustrated things get worse.

It took me over 90 minutes total and 3 tries to install my HP printer because HP insisted the user had to have administrator priviledges - which I had. Frustration was in charge here yesterday ha ha.

o

and when we get frustrated things get worse.
I can sure vouch for that!

Sue

o

It's a constant learning process for most every one. I just went through the printer installation and spend 2 hours wasting my time. It took the HP tech about 2 minutes before she told me it was a bad one. After all of the time spent trying the tech said I had two options, they would send me a replacement or I could take it back to the store. I ended up returning it and buying the cheapest HP printer I could find and it uses only 2 cartridges and prints in color or black ink only for only $69.

This post was edited by EmmaR on Thu, May 2, 13 at 11:32

o

Thank you to all of you. I am impressed by your knowledge and willingness to help. Nice people here!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here