Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
system restore

Posted by mlou_51 (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 11 at 21:06

My pc is running so slow and I'm thinking of copying all my ebooks, pictures, "stuff" and AVG etc on flash drives and using the disk that came with the pc to do a restore. Does that completely restore my pc to the way it was originally? Mlou

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: system restore

That is how it's supposed to work. However, depending on the age of the PC, that could mean hours and hours of doing updates to your operating system. In addition, it will require reinstallation of all programs you added, so you better make sure you have all of those disks (and associated key codes), as well as the download locations of any programs you installed via the Internet. Then you would have to re-load all the stuff you saved to media, and hope that you had found it all before you restored the system. This can be a lot of work.

Why don't you tell us more about what system you are running, what the computer specs are, and what particular symptoms you are having. There may be less time-consuming alternatives than what you are contemplating.

o

If you have Win7, not that big of a problem with 1 service package and those updates since that pack but if you are running winXP, there are 3 large service package plus many updates since that third package was brought out..

o

Mlou, restoring a computer to factory defaults is a bit time consuming but once done you can be very pleasantly surprised.

As noted, gather all your program CDs and save any pertinent data. Then double check to ensure you have it all.

If this is XP you only need to install SP3 afterwards, no need for SP1 or SP2. After that there are currently about 107 updates to install which depending on the speed of your computer and internet connection may take 90 minutes or so. You might consider downloading SP3 beforehand and burning it to a CD, that way it can be installed with the internet connection disabled for protection. I also keep Microsoft Security Essentials on a thumb drive to be installed after SP3 (it will not work without SP3) so that once I connect again I am relatively safe. Which ever anti virus program you use try to have it saved already so it can be installed soon after re-installing Windows.

Have the internet connected during the initial install so it is found and set up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here