Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to delete the deleted from email ?

Posted by big_al_41 (My Page) on
Thu, May 26, 11 at 20:27

I know that even though I hit delete on my emails they really don't disappear, how do I make that happen .. to totally make them gone.

I'm running vista 64 machine

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to delete the deleted from email ?

can you tell us what email client you are using? many have different methods, is it gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc?
some you can go to the email in the deleted email folder right click on that email and select delete there.

o

It also depends on what you expect when you say "delete." Just because they are "deleted" --that is, unavailable to you -- doesn't mean they aren't archived on your email provider's servers indefinitely.

o

I know that they will still be on my provider's servers ..it's my computer I want they off of. I am running MS windows email program.

what do you think, is there a file ext I should look for etc.

Thanks

o

Outlook Express had .eml as an extension. Your client???

DA

o

If you have a third party email unitlty (Thunderbird, etc.), most of these have a "trash box". When you delete an email from either the "In Box" or "Sent Box" it goes to the trash box. To complete a deletion, go to the trash box and delete. Items deleted from the trash box are gone.

This is a neat feature. For example, if you deleted a message while reading it in the "In Box" and then later wanted to retrieve it. you can. Merely move to the trash box, select the message and "Move" it to another box.

o

I seem to recollect that when Gmail came out and you had to be 'invited' to join Google announced that no email would ever be deleted from their servers. Wonder if that is still the case? Looks like it, see the first paragraph in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google's Gmail

o

I believe this to be so. I downloaded my g-mail to my new "smart phone" and ALL of it from the beginning downloaded. Ugh! Now I have to go and delete all this from my phone. I guess I'll have to set up a new account to get only current mail on my phone. Don't know----I'm still learning but very much in the dark about this.

o
Big Al

You'll find instructions at the MS link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Delete messages in Windows Mail

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here