SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
not2bright

problems: pale moon? mbam? sas? or what?

not2bright
9 years ago

Hi,

I'm having problems with my comptuer and before I post a question at a forum of one of the three possible programs that might be causing my issues (Pale Moon, MBAM, and SAS), I thought I would post here. This forum is my "go to" place for computer help, after all! :-)

Please, pardon the looonngg background.

Based on a recommendation made by Corrine recently (a tweet, I believe), I decided to download the Pale Moon browser to try as a possible back-up browser for my preferred FF. Since I have Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, I downloaded the 64-bit version. It installed well and has worked well for the last few days that I have been trying it, except for several times where it just stopped working while watching a video. When this happened I just switched to FF for the remainder of my computer time and didn't return to PM until some other computer session.

In addition to PM, and while I was in the downloading mood ;-) I also upgraded to the latest free MBAM version the other day and (in anticipation of doing some spyware scanning) I updated my SAS.

Now came time for the scans.

I scanned with MBAM first, using the default scan settings, and it went through without incident (and no infections). But I usually do a complete scan, so I re-scanned using a 'custom scan' setting. I chose to scan C drive and to scan for rootkits (not part of the default scan). In both cases, because the scan was to take some time, I sit there in from of the computer. But both times something went wrong with the scan. The latter time I saw a black screen with a white horizontal blinking cursor at the top left. I couldn't so anything, so I manually shut off the computer and rebooted.

My scan with SAS (done between the two MBAM scans) was also a "complete" one that was never completed. I got some kind of error message. I didn't write it down, I'm afraid. But I can try repeating the scan and see if it happens again. It's just odd that it couldn't do a complete scan just as MBAM couldn't.

Anyway, after the second MBAM full-scan attempt & failure, I thought maybe I should uninstall Pale Moon and see if that is the problem. (Their site did warn of possible issues with the 64-bit version, but I don't know if these scan issues are included in that.) I went to my free Revo expecting to be able to do a complete uninstall, but I found that Pale Moon is not even listed (though FF and Opera are)!

After that long-winded intro, my question is: what should I do now? Should I do a manual uninstall of PM, assuming that it's most likely that that is my problem? If so, what about any leftovers? Could they still affect my system somehow?

Or should I first try fixing my scanner problems, perhaps by downgrading to the previous version of MBAM?

Or should I first post to one or more of the specific help forums for these programs?

I just want to do things right so I don't end up making things worse. If I've actually got some malware, and if it takes a full scan to find it and get rid of it, I'm up the creek!!

Thanks for any input! :-)

Comments (7)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals