Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is going on with Microsoft Update?

Posted by thirdfrt (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 19:12

Today I updated Microsoft update 1 of 3 and only two of them updated, then my update shield popped up again and it showed the same updates again along with the other one that had not been updated. So I updated again. It shows in the update history that all are there and was a success. Now the shield has popped up again and when I checked it out in Microsoft update it has this listed. Download size (total): 0 KB *
Estimated time at your connection speed: 0 minutes *
(*Downloaded; ready to install)

Should I hit cancel and hope that it doesn't pop back up or hide it and if I have to hide it how do I do that? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch! Has anyone else experienced this with the May 21st Microsoft Updates?

thirdfrt!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is going on with Microsoft Update?

there has been much reported problem with one of the updates, Susan Bradley wrote an article about it in windows secrets newsletter. I posted about it here on a thread so if you do a search it should come up. wait I think this is it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Susan Bradley

o

I had a bunch the other day for windows 7 running IE9 and did not have any problems but I think some updates is what wreacked havoc on my friends computer with win 7 and IE9. Msry!

o

I still promote not using the Windows automatic update offering, but rather just the notification with a grouped manual installation. The offering might be a purported convenience, but it can be a headache creator as well.

As a result of my readings I have been leery of the Windows NET updates for a while now. This month my system required four and I dealt with them one at a time, and in chronological order.

For what it is worthy I just tried Windows Update and it failed twice during the process before finally connecting, and reporting I was up-to-date.

DA

o

Hi everyone,

I checked to see if the updates took affect and they did,so once I saw they were installed and had the green checkmark showing they were successful, I went back into Microsoft Update and I clicked on custom and took out the checkmarks next to those updates that had been installed already and when I did that the shield disappeared. That is the only way that I knew to stop the update from continuing. Since they are installed to me it doesn't matter. The update kept looping even after they were installed. Goofy for sure. So that is how I took care of it.

Thanks to all of you who posted to this thread, I appreciate it so much.

thirdfrt!!!

o

windows Automatic FixIt
What it fixes...

�Checks Windows Update component configuration and repairs as needed
�Resolves incorrect Windows Update data locations
�Reregisters required services

Here is a link that might be useful: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/

o

Have installed three times and the shield keeps popping up. It tells me they installed and then the shield pops up saying updates need to be installed. Same problem as OP.

I'll try Mikies fix.

Jane

o

To jane ny: Have you tried the same fix used by thirdfrt in the above post? It seemed to resolve their issue, which sounds very similar to your issue.

o

directly quoted from the artilce by Susan Bradley about this patch issue is exactly what to do.(which I linked to in my first response)

In translation, MS Support article 2686509 states the following:

* If the update is offered more than once, look for a file called Faultykeyboard.log in the C:\Windows folder.
* If it�s present, there are specific .dll files that need to be added to the \System32 folder.
* Get the file names and their locations (typically in C:\Windows\system) and copy them (the instructions specifically admonish not to move them) manually into C:\Windows\system32.

Patch Watch update: Duqu-patch install problems

If you do not care to actually fix it I reckon you can just block it too up to you.

o

This popped up on my XP computer this morning. I am positive I downloaded and installed all the .NET updates on update Tuesday. I went to MS Updates site and it also showed the same three as the shield showed. So I decided to download them one by one. It would not let my download in the order I wished (never had that problem before), so I let it download the first one listed. Left my computer for a while and when I came back the shield indicated the same three to be downloaded. So I went back to the site, and it now shows all three as installed---no important updates to be done. If the shield pops up again, I'll use the Fix-It.

o

I thought Microsoft was not supporting XP anymore.
What's up with that? Sounds like there are still
updates?

o

lbpod, XP support ends 2014 according to Microsoft

o

Actually xpsp3 has continued support, for all other versions support has ended.

o

Dh is having the same problem. I'm so glad I use a Mac!

o

Mikie, used the fix it tool and doesn't work. Shield keeps popping up. Checked MS Updates and it shows I have 4 versions of each one (I kept telling it to install). I looked at the support forum and the instructions they give is too complicated for me.

I can't find the updates in Control Panel/add remove. I see Net Framework 2.0 sp2 but I'm thinking I should remove all the Net Framework updates.
I'm afraid to do that.

Raven, your directions show as part symbols on my computer. Not sure how to read what you wrote.
Sounds above my skill level.

Jane

o

I posted the direct link to the article which the directions are from.

o

Ok, I just updated some other stuff that came in and I saw a flashing on my computer that says errors occurred.

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile for Windows XP x86 (KB982670) There is a red x with a ? mark next to it.

Monday, May 21, 2012 Microsoft Update

Here is the other one.

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008 x86 (KB2604121)

Same red x with ? next to it. Tuesday, May 22, 2012 Automatic Updates

Can I go back and try to re-download them again? I don't notice any problems with my computer but I was wondering if I could try it again to see if they succeed. What do you think and how would I go about doing that?

Even if I can figure out how to do that, I am waiting for a response from you all before I make a mistake and goof up my computer. Thanks all responses are greatly appreciated.

thirdfrt!!!

o

Update on one of the failures: Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008 x86 (KB2604121)

I went back in to check to see if there were any duplicates and there was. The one above updated and it was a success. It has a green mark showing that it did. So the one above is OK. I guess it failed the first time but, I must have ran it again and it then passed. These updates were so confusing showing up more than once it is no wonder that some of them might fail the first time. That is just my opinion. Anyway that one is OK.

I still need to know about the other one though. Thanks a bunch!

thirdfrt!!!

o

I checked last night and it is not in my add/remove programs, so I am thinking it just never installed. I also checked to see if there was anyway to do it over and there isn't. I have not noticed any problems with my computer at all, so guess I will just leave well enough alone as they say. Thanks anyway. "Smiles"

thirdfrt!!!

o

Ive updated the .Net on several xp computer people had problems with .. its a painfully slow process it seems to me and takes a very long time to complete the .net updates. Many of these xp computers ,, the user didn't wait for it to complete the process was reason for failures, is what I'm thinking.

People just wont wait for things like that. I can't blame them really. But leave the computer alone when its sitting there seemingly stuck on those NET updates..
give it lots of time & more.

o

I never rush them. I update and install with everything else shut down. I'm very careful updating.

These updates do not show in add/remove. On Windows Update, I now have 4 copies of each update. I kept trying to install and they are all checked green yet the shield keeps popping up. I ran the fix-it tool many times with no luck.

I checked 'no notifications' but the shield is still showing on my task bar.

Do you think MS will offer a fix? Seems a lot of people affected by this. Also, what about 'removing' all the net framwork from add/remove?

Jane

o

If you remove NET, when you reinstall it any/all programs that were broken from the removal, will probably need to be reinstalled. You really shouldnt need to remove NET 20, or any version.

Might try from a fresh boot....
Shut off virus programs or any full time spyware/adware watchers, and all other running programs that you can comfortably, especially those with icons by the clock ... then try the stubborn update.

o

Those of you having this problem please check to see if they are still showing up, I am hearing on other forums that it has been corrected by microsoft now and they are not showing up repeatedly for windows updates.

If you had blocked them from windows updates you can uncheck hiding them to see if they appear again.
If you are still getting them just go ahead and block them in windows updates so they do not drive you nuts, it appears they are at least working on it.

I am curious if all of you with the problem have XP? seems it is pretty much all the ones I am seeing.

o

for those interested here is the tech net bulletin

Microsoft Security Bulletin Minor Revisions Issued: May 22, 2012

If you happen to have windows update set to not install and just notify you check to see if you happen to have any of these repeat offenders sitting there waiting for you.
The problem was that they had issued old .NET updates for some unknown reason and the system would not allow it because it would be over writing a newer update hence the loop.

o

Not showing up today. Thank goodness!

Jane

o

Yes, mine corrected itself several days ago just about the time so many were posting on this thread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here