Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding borders in Windows 7

Posted by kathieo (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 12 at 18:45

I am trying to add a border to a Word document using Windows 7. This is a new computer for me and I haven't used Win7 before. The problem is the same one I had when using Win XP. I selected my border from ART, selected BOX (meaning around the whole page and it does show in the print preview but when I press print I get the message that the border is outside the printable area do I want to continue? I selected yes because in the past the border would print even though that error appeared. However, it does not print with WIN7. Hope this makes sense and sosmeone can help me print a border on all four sides of my document. What do I need to do or change to get a custom or art work border around the whole document. BTW I did select "whole document" for placement of the border. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding borders in Windows 7

The way that I add a border in a Word document in Windows 7 is while in Microsoft Word, I click the Page Layout tab, then click the Page borders button, then select my settings for the border. After I am finished, I make sure I save my settings.

o

nearand west, that is exactly what I am doing. Myy border appears in the print preview but the right hand side of the border will not print (error says it is outside the print area). I don't know what that means exactly so I don't kinow how to fix the problem. Could it be the margin settings must be changed? What setting are you referring to? I know how to select the border I want...it is a matter of getting it to print all the way around the page.

o

It shouldn't matter what version of Windows you are using but rather what version of Word.

Every printer has a limit on how close to the edge of the paper it can print. What "outside the printable area" means is that your document is set to print beyond the limit of the printer. If you print, part of the border will likely be cut off. Try adjusting your margins in 1/10 inch increments until the problem goes away. Or you can look up the specs in the printer's owners manual. Or shrink that border slightly.

o

On my HP printer I have the option to 'fit to page' which reduces as Mike suggests above.

Clicking 'print...' gives you a new window, check the various tabs to find the fit to page button.

o

Mike, I tried to adjust the margins but the change occurs within the document itself and doesn't change the position of the border. Where do I change the position or distance of the border from the edge of the paper? The help article associated with the error does refer to the settings of the printer. I really wouldn't know how to make that change. That's more complicated than I can handle.

I'm going to try owbist's idea next.

o

You'd have to change the size of the border itself as it seems to extend beyond the edge of the printable page. Typically they just graphics files, you can just click and drag to resize it or right click on the object and choose the appropriate option (I don't have Word on this machine so I can't tell you exactly what it says, but it should be pretty obvious). There you can make numeric changes to the object's size.

As owbist mentioned, there's usually a "fit to page" type option in the printer dialog windows too.

o

Hi kathieo: Sorry I haven't responded back to you before now, I was out all day yesterday. These other folks are giving some good suggestions. Let me add one more. Have you tried creating your border first and then creating your document within the border? I once had to do that in order for the border to fit. And just to clarify, I am using Microsoft Word 2010.

o

nearand west, I have Word 2010 as well. I haven't been able to find that "fit to page". This is all so new to me as I had an older version of Word until just recently. The print dialog box is very different from what I am used to. I will try doing the border first.

As mike suggested, I took out my printer manual and tried to find the information but couldn't. Io hate to mess around with these things since I didn't set it up in the first place...my son did it for me. My printer is old...about 7 yrs but my computer is a new all in one. A lot to get used to! I always had this problem printing borders though.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll keep trying.

o

Yes, kathieo, don't get frustrated, stay patient, and just keep trying. That is how we continue to learn. And along the way, you may even discover something else that helps you make better use of Word 2010. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to figure one thing out, and along the way learned two or three new things that were helpful for me. Above all, don't lose patience.

o

Try the web page below and see if it is any help for you.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-put-a-border-around-a-page-of-a-word-2010-d.html

o

kathieo: Were you able to resolve your page border issue?

o

nearandwest....thankk you so much for the link. I just had a chance to try it today. I followed the steps and it seemed to work...the border appeared in the print preview but it wouldn't print. So I tried it in the document that I was working on when I originally posted.....the steps worked, the border appeared in the document but it wouldn't print. So now it seems I have ANOTHER PRINTER PROBLEM!!!!!. I am going to post for help with this issue. But as far as the border issue I won't know until I resolve the printer problem. But I appreciate your checking in....and help. I would never have thought to search dummies.com. I'll let you know how I make out. and if I ever get a border on my document. Thanks.

o

I do not see any printer make and model mentioned in this thread, you might consider providing that because other users of that specific model might well have a fix.

I cannot see that any border provided by Microsoft through Word would not print on a letter sized page.

Again referring to my own HP printer I have the option to enlarge the print area and often have only a half inch on both sides, top and bottom.

o

owbist...My printer is an HP photosmart 7350. I tried nearandwest's link and those settings did work. I tried to find in my printer information some way to change the print area size. But I couldn't find anything that I could understand.

I was able to print using a USB rather than the wireless connection I had. It appears I lost my connection between the router and the printer just this morning when I did an update to Adobe and a Belkin fix. What a nightmare.

But as far as the border issue that seems to be resolved with those settings and margin changes. Now once I play around with different borders that may change, but for today it is working for me.

Now I have to resolve my wireless connection problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here