Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New spam question

Posted by sushipup (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 17:20

I'm getting a fresh bunch of spam, many from addresses that starts "techpath@----.---" with a great assortment of pirated email addresses, but all with the techpath part. I've tried blocking "techpath@*.*" but that doesn't seem to do any good at all.

Ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New spam question

maybe block if header contains..
(not the from line. which I assume you blocked)

o

I blocked sender.

Here's one of them: (I tried to cut and paste it, but Gardenweb knows spam addresses when it seems them, and won't allow me to do it.)

Headers are all quite varied. Only the "techpath" is consistent.

o

You do not say if this is an address provided by your internet provider or a throw away like Yahoo, Hotmail or Gmail.

If it is a throw away personally I would create a new account, notify those who need to know from your address book then discard this address.

o

No, it's my main address. I never ever get spam on my gmail account.

o

Did you try the Filter messages like these as described at the link below?

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Using filters

o

It's not in gmail, where I get ---zero--- spam, without even trying to block things. Sigh.

o

right click on the email it self and select an option from there to block or send to junk etc

o
RE: New spam question//

not an option. Am using an older version of Outlook Express. I can block sender, but that varies too much to be worthwhile. That's the "Blocked sender" that I tried to modify for techpath@*.* which doesn't seem to do anything.

o

techpath probably isn't the sender.. its a spoof to distract and look like he is

If I recall .. OE has pretty good selection of IF's .. IF that name is anywhere in the header.. should be able to block or delete all that contains that term techpath* .

o

It's not in gmail, where I get ---zero--- spam, without even trying to block things. Sigh.
lol...oops...must not have had enough coffee before posting reply earlier.

Is this your email addy through your internet provider? I'm betting/guessing it is.

o

Yes. And I have an older computer and access my email from the ISP to Outlook Express.

Spam seems to come in waves, and I usually look at the address-properties, which is the only reason why I noticed the techpath.

It's an almost 6 yr old computer. I need to save my pennies for a new machine and finally upgrade hardware and software. ;-p

o
RE: Receiving a flood of spam - HELP !

Having had a bellsouth.net email acount for years, I have often thought how lucky I was to only receive spam 1-2 times a month. Suddenly this has increased to 30-40 per day ! They are varied (Sears, AARP, insurance, printer ink, school shoes, car sales - you name it - and all end in: at pentodespitchtwenty.in .
I have tried googling this site and can find nothing. Has anyone else suffered at the hands of pentodes...etc. and if so, what did you do. Changing my email account is really not a good option for me. Could this problem have occurred as a result of setting up an ebay account? Thanks for any help.

o

Assuming the e-mail address is not spoofed, the domain .in is India. Do not open, respond or unsubscribe to any of these e-mails. Anyone of these actions in the least would validate your e-mail address and at the most could unleash malware.

Not knowing if your e-mail is solely on the web or through an on-board client, is there a way you can create a filter/rule to block the sender's domain and send all this to Trash?

DA

o

Hmmm. . ."on the web" . . ."on-board client" ~ not quite sure what that means, but here is what I just did: With Windows Mail open, I clicked Tools/Junk Mail Options and changed settings to receive only email generated from the US and only in English. Not sure if I'm a total idiot or just on the verge there of, but it seems like if India is the issue, then maybe this should solve the problem. DRAT !While typing this, I heard my 'got mail' alert dinging away and sure enough, I got spammed 7 times from the same #*$()(# sender just while typing this post! All are hitting the junk mail box, but is there any way to adjust settings so I never receive them at all (particularly from this sender) or am I just really that naive???

o

If you tell us who your email is with we might be able to tell you how to create a specific filter to block all email from that domain.
What was meant by Web based is email like hotmail or Gmail or yahoo that you access using the browser online, onboard would be one through the Internet provider and accessible from your pc not online.

o

Thank you, ravencajun. I use MS Windows Mail and my ISP is Bellsouth.net. My junk mail folder is catching 95% of these, but am now up to 56 for today and still coming ~ a record ! The reason I'm looking to not even have these hit my junk mail folder is because of the incessant 'dinging'. Need to know I have mail, just not 50+ times a day. Any way around this since it seems one particular sender is the culprit???

o

If Bellsouth gives you a "powered by yahoo" webmail like ATT gives me you can probably block/filter online and tell it to not even send it down to you?

Something like this:

That's assuming Bellsouth.net uses Yahoo for email. But even if they don't it would probably be the same thing, log into the web-based version and filter it out before it ever reaches your machine.

BTW, your Bellsouth email is visible in your profile, at least to members. It's possible that it got "harvested" that way. Not saying it did, just that it's possible.

Unfortunately, it seems that once your email address makes a list, it stays on it. I also have an account that receives spam. Although it's just a gmail, I can't throw it away. It only gets two or three pieces a day though, not 50+.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here